SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First attempt at M13

First attempt at astro photography. A single shot of M13, 20sec, ISO 3200, Canon 100D, 200P on a HEQ5. Its taken several nights to get to grips with setting up, EQMOD, PA and APT. Slowly getting somewhere. Each step is getting quicker with each attempt. What is has been is good fun and fantastic to learn a new skill.

M13 Single__0002_ISO3200_20s__34C.CR2

Thats a good first attempt.

I would suggest dropping your iso down to 800 and you will need to stack several of these into DSS with flats and bias.

You can also try using apt to control your canon and this will then allow you to dither so you may be able to get away without having to take darks.

You have not mentioned but are you autoguiding as this will help for long exposures.

cheers

Spill.

41 minutes ago, Rob Astro said:

First attempt at astro photography. A single shot of M13, 20sec, ISO 3200, Canon 100D, 200P on a HEQ5. Its taken several nights to get to grips with setting up, EQMOD, PA and APT. Slowly getting somewhere. Each step is getting quicker with each attempt. What is has been is good fun and fantastic to learn a new skill.

What does 'EQMOD, PA and APT' mean please?

27 minutes ago, Swithin StCleeve said:

What does 'EQMOD, PA and APT' mean please?

EQMOD:- is a piece of software which you can use to control your mount via a PC

PA:- is polar alignment.  Necessary to align your equatorial mount to allow it to track correctly

APT:- is one of many camera or imaging control software packages.  Again this allows you to control and manage your imaging session from a PC

op has uploaded a .cr raw image.

@Swithin StCleeve

eqmod is a computer program used to control your mount.

APT is again another computer program used to control you camera 

PA is polar align. You need to align you eq mount so that when you track and object in the sky you do not get any star trails.

Too late.

Thanks for all the advice. I was just happy to get a photo of M13. I'm not guiding at the moment. As I said I'm progressing a little further each night. So the next step is a lower ISO and to stack several images along with darks and bias. Cant wait for the next clear night. One question I have is how to upload photos and have them displayed? Am I rtight in thinking I have to have them on another host site like flicker?

Thanks for displaying the image and for the comments. I'm lucky in that I live in mid wales and don't have any light pollution. Been looking at what settings what other poeple have been photographing M13. So I now have a plan saved in APT ready for the next clear night. Hopefully 30 lights, 45sec at ISO 800. Then 10 dark's to match. So cant wait for the next clear night.

I could be completely wrong here but you can probably dither without autoguding. You could then also ditch your darks and just use flats and bias. I know it would not make too much of a difference for now as you only save under 10 minutes but when you start autoguiding you will find it will save you lots of time and allow you to take more lights. Take a look here it may be of interest.

Archived