SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Flickr or Instagram

Danny83uk

So im getting a collection of images now and its seems theres alot of closet astronomers out there who when they find out show a keen interest in what ive done. Thing is its a pain either finding them on my phone or loading up dropbox (my methond of pc > Phone transfer) So im wondering whats your prefered image showcase method?

8 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Get your own website - its  free from Google !

This took a couple of hours to throw together  https://sites.google.com/view/astro-imaging/home

Click on the button at the bottom of the web  page if you want a free site.

"My winter hobby is Astro-Imaging. In other words I take pictures of things I can't see in the night sky! "

Love that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, frugal said:

I believe you are only allowed to post astro images on Instagram if you first apply a faux 1970's Polaroid filter, or show it next to a plate of food ?

Would it  also be acceptable to stick some stupid bunny ears and a dainty nose on them? 

Edited by Danny83uk
grammer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Danny83uk said:

Would be also be acceptable to stick some stupid bunny ears and a dainty nose on them? 

That would also work.

In all seriousness there are a couple of places you can put your images to share:

- Instagram

- Flickr.com - They have an Astrometry group and if you add your images to the group they are plate solved and annontated by Astrometry.net (takes a couple of days)

- Astrobin.com - Where I initially put my images up. You can add details of the number of light and dark frames, and it will calculate the total integration time as well as plate solve and annotate the images; you can also have multiple versions of the same image if you canture more data or improve the processing. However it go so popular that the site maintainer needed to move to a paid model in order to keep up with the bills. Currently $18/year for 12 images a year, or $36 for unlimited.

- dso-browser.com - I had not really appreciated the image abilities of this site, but like Astrobin you can upload an image along with all of the details of the equipment used and the number of integration frames; automatic plate solving. It also adds your image to the community images for a target, so that if you look at the details of a target you get to see everyones images. The only thing you can not do is upload a revised image if you improve the processing. The only problem is that there is no easy way to share the images to the forums (sharing to Facebook, Twitter and Google+ is fully supported).

• 3 years later...

Hey,I really recommend you to create an Intagram profile, if you haven’t done it already. My girlfriend is a photographer. She doesn't specialize in astrology, as I do, but she is already actively promoting her profile. Of course, at the beginning ,she used good instagram services and she got 10K subscribers in a couple of days. However, then real subscribers followed and now she is swamped with requests. So, you also can create an amazing profile and sell your photos. Why not?

4 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Wrong hobby buddy 😉 

Back in the mists of time, when I were a young (and rather naive) young chap, I got confused between "astronomy" and "astrology" whilst talking with an astronomer.

"what's the difference?", I asked

"one of them will get you a punch in the mouth", came the reply

Seems fair, in hindsight 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Either create your own website as Skipper Billy suggests (I do the same), or post on Astrobin, it's around £30 per year for unlimited images or free for a small number 10 or something.  There is also a great Astrophotography forum on there with people from all over the world including some famous imagers.

In fact I use Astrobin to host my images which I can then easily post on forums such as SGL.  

Carole 

22 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

The main difference between an Astronomer and an astrologer is about 100 IQ points 😉 

Well, yes, but...

Astronomers spend hours standing outside in the dark/cold/wind, vainly hoping to see something that isn't cloud

Astrologers spend minutes in the warmth, making up any old nonsense, and earn a good living from the gullible

Conclusion: astrologers are smarter 😁

On 25/06/2020 at 11:37, sploo said:

Well, yes, but...

Astronomers spend hours standing outside in the dark/cold/wind, vainly hoping to see something that isn't cloud

Astrologers spend minutes in the warmth, making up any old nonsense, and earn a good living from the gullible

Conclusion: astrologers are smarter 😁

Does that mean that all astrologers know it’s a con? I was under the impression that most of ‘em actually believed in the stuff, just like flat earthers.

Apologies to the OP, this is way off topic.

9 minutes ago, tomato said:

Does that mean that all astrologers know it’s a con? I was under the impression that most of ‘em actually believed in the stuff, just like flat earthers.

Apologies to the OP, this is way off topic.

I think that could go deeply into an analysis of many a con-artist, but it would probably take us down a very dark rabbit hole, so I'll stop there ;)

Just remember that astronomy started as astrology. The great Tycho Brahe was employed by the Danish king as an astrologer. As such he could study the night sky and create accurate catalogues of the planets’ position, which Kepler later used to formulate his ”laws”.
As for the original question, I use astrobin, sgl and the Swedish astronomy forum to publish my images, but am considering flickr as well. There are also several astronomy groups on FB.