Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and GRS 18/04/2017

Swoop1

Set the scope up and started observing at 21:15 tonight as the sky was clear apart from the odd band of high altitude thing cloud. It was my intention to concentrate on Jupiter for the session.

I started at x75 with the 10mm and the detail was quite pleasing. There were 3 moons visible that I was confident about with one getting quite close to the disc edge on what I think was the SE limb? I am still learning so wasn't sure if this moon was about to transit or be occluded? I think it was Io. 

I stayed on x75 for a few minutes as my eye settled and the detail started to improve. I became aware of a blemish on the upper hemisphere as I viewed it which soon resolved into the GRS. Fantastic sight!

I then decided to fit the X2 Barlow and upped the magnification to x150. Despite the loss of clarity, as Jupiter transited through my FoV, there were moments of stunning clarity for me. The more I look at Jupiter, the more I see. Repeated return visits to the target are a must. Familiarity with viewing it really helps in resolving features on the planet.

By 21:55 the closest moon was almost touching the disc edge so I started to concentrate on this. By 22:00 there was no separation and I had lost the moon. I waited until 22:15 to see if a transit shadow became apparent but it didn't so I guess the moon had popped around the far side.

I decided now was time to call it a night- got to be up at 06:15 to get ready for work tomorrow so packed the kit up and headed in. A very productive and enjoyable hour at the EP.

I had a similar experience a few days ago. Before if you asked me to discribe how Jupiter looked I would say, "I see four moons and two orangish looking bands" but one night everything just sort of clicked and I saw 4 bands, dark spots on Jupiter, the GRS and swirling behind the GRS. You just need to spend time with Jupiter!

Excellent report! :thumbsup:

Jupiter has plenty of features but many of these can be quite subtle. Calm, good seeing, and patience at the eyepieces are really necessary. Said this the reward is great! 

On 4/18/2017 at 18:05, Swoop1 said:

The more I look at Jupiter, the more I see. Repeated return visits to the target are a must. Familiarity with viewing it really helps in resolving features on the planet.

I agree totally with that! :smiley:

Archived