Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Do Skywatcher still make the solid tube 10" dob?

I've noticed that Skywatcher no longer list the solid tube 10" dobsonian on their site, only the 10" collapsible. Does anyone know if the've stopped producing it? I'm thinking of getting one and there seems to be plenty of stock. It's not like it's going to suddenly stop working if they stop making it but does make me wonder if I'm getting something "old".

http://www.skywatcher.com/series/dobsonians/

Yeah, i've been able to find stock. I notice that FLO are out of the big 288mm tube rings for it and I'm...not nervous as such...just get the feeling it's an end of line product. At this point it's not going to stop me getting it. Steely eyed focus on that particular light bucket for me.

1 hour ago, elliot said:

..not nervous as such...just get the feeling it's an end of line product....

All my scopes are out of production now, some by over a decade. Still excellent scopes though :icon_biggrin:

12 minutes ago, John said:

Are you planning on mounting the tube on another mount ?

One day maybe...didn't want to rule out the possibility. It would need a helluva mount. I think my wife will be wanting a holiday first.

6 minutes ago, elliot said:

Cool! I have no idea what that means.

Welcome to SGL . You will be scratching your head a lot over the coming weeks. But don't worry we have all been there , and to tell the truth most of us are still learning?

38 minutes ago, elliot said:

Cool! I have no idea what that means.

:D

Google binoviewers if you haven't come across them - they allowyou to observe with a scope using two eyes. This can be fantastic on moon and planets (as I have found in my 250px).  Note though that not everyone gets on with binoviewers. One consideration is the ability to reach focus: on a 250px solid tube, you have to use a 2.5x lens (glass path corrector) which tends to limit the lower limit of magnification you can use.  A neat feature with the flextube is that you can shorten the trusses and do away with the 2.5x lens.

I like to look at a bit of everything with my dob, that's why I mentioned it as a plus on the side of the flextube.  Other than that, solid tube all the way at 10" It holds collimation ridiculously well ;)

Archived