Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GOTO alignment for Solar astro

valleyman

Being thinking about switching to solar and was wondering how you guys go about setting your mounts to track the Sun.

I will be using a Sky-Watcher Star Discovery AZ Goto Mount. Is it just as simple as using a 1 star align with the sun as the star or is it a bit more complicated than that.

Pat

There's  good news Pat - skywatcher have added a daytime align feature for their mounts (you'll need to upgrade the handset software).  With that you can align on the Sun ?    It has been a long time coming (Celestron have always had a solar system align option and that was a big reason for me buying an evolution for solar).  But the little Skywatcher AZ mounts will now be great for solar ?

Have fun!

Helen

Usually for a solar align and track the scope/mount will have a defined initial position. Usually North and Level, set this as accurately as you can then I guess it is perform the align using the sun, and a little matter of a solar filter over the scope and the finder - people forget that one.

Archived