Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help choosing camera please

Hi everyone, I'm very new to stargazing and my hubby bought me my 1st telescope for my birthday. I'm just getting to grips with it, celestron and have quickly realised I want to capture pictures of what I'm seeing up there. Was very excited to see Jupiter and it's 4 moons last night albeit very small and far away. The thing is I want a camera I'm off to America at the weekend and want a one I can use to take photos at Disney and then back home of the sky lol. Will one camera do both or do I need 2 different types. I have no clue ? advice appreciated. Oh I wanted to spend around £200.

Hi

£200 will get a used Canon dslr such as a 1100d or even better a 600d nice articulated screen on that one or a 550d which spefically has a video mode good for the Jupiter. There are sellers for used cameras like camera jungle and mbp though I've used neither.

But the Moon and Jupiter would be best with a webcam you might have knocking around already. 

Point and shoot bridge cameras will limit any burgeoning night sky imaging interest I think. Bridge cameras are limiting as you can't remove the lens.

If your mount does not track there will be limited to what you can do but this won't stop you having a go on the Moon or Jupiter as generally video is used for them. Also depending on which telescope you have not all will reach focus with a dslr. 

For getting images of what you see, depending on what it is you see, then you need a DSLR type of camera. For imaging you take the lens off and attach the DSLR direct to the scope.

So if you are going to get one for both aspects then a DSLR type is the requirement, basically a removable lens.

The catch is that imaging is not a simple case of DSLR and scope and off you go showing NASA the limitations of Hubble. It is in simple terms more complex. The mount really has to be equitorial and it has to have motors. The scope needs to be actually small and relatively short focal length or "fast" as is the actual term. A couple of other bits like an intervalometer and a few adaptor rings. Then you need some luck ahd the imaging gods have to smile on you.

Keeping the astrophotography as a secondary aspect, but keeping it in mind, then look for a DSLR and if possible a small ish one, keep the weight down. Use it at Disney land then ask again about the requirements for astrophotography. Seems the better approach.

Planaetary imaging is done differently, webcam camera, and is maybe a better first approach to getting images. Then in a way is wide field - DSLR and whatever lens it came with (simplistic term), get 12 images, stack, process with whatever. Then look at the prime focus imaging with the DSLR (Prime Focus is DSLR attached direct to scope.

Depends on what you want to capture...for deepsky a DSLR would be better if you have a equatorial  tracking mount capable of long exposures...for planets yes you can use a DSLR but a purpose planetary camera will do the job far better..but obviously can't use it for disney...

Have a great time

21 hours ago, JennyBull said:

I'm off to America at the weekend and want a one I can use to take photos at Disney

Having been to multiple American amusement parks, I recommend a small P&S camera that can fit in either a pocket, purse, or waist pack.  Internal zooming waterproof types are best I've found because you don't have to worry about the extending zoom lens jamming due to sand, lint, or mishandling or having water rides ruining it.  My personal favorite is the Panasonic TS (FT in UK) line for a nice balance of size, weight, and performance.  They also turn on quicker because the lens doesn't need to extend to be ready to shoot.

This type of camera isn't all that useful for astrophotography, however.  Webcams and stacking software work best for solar system objects because they can take many frames in quick succession, and then software can be used to pick out the best ones and stack them to increase contrast and sharpness.

A DSLR is best for Disneyland and most astrophotography.

But Jupiter is small and best results come from averaging out hundreds or even thousands of frames. This is better done with an ordinary webcam with an eyepiece adaptor used instead of the lens. Any webcam with a screw in lens will do the job, get one with a built in infra red filter and ideally use it with a 2X barlow. Alternatively the Microsoft Lifecam is a good un' but you need to do a bit of surgery to remove the autofocus lens and fit it into some sort of holder.

Use the free program Sharpcap to capture the video. You will need patience to keep Jupiter centred on screen!

Use another free program PIPP to crop out Jupiter and centre it  a new video.

Use yet another freebie AS2! to stack the best frames.

The free program Registax has something called wavelets that are tricky to use but will bring out the details.

That's four programs to get the hang of, but there are tutorials on line and people here who will answer your questions basic or advanced.

Thanks everyone! Not as straight forward as I thought lol. I really need to get onto a course or find a local group who may be able to demonstrate. Really appreciate the advice and never thought about a Web cam ?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived