Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar filter

Bart

Hello All

I recently looked through a telescope which had what the owner called a white light filter, but when I looked through it, the sun appeared orange. I've previously used the Baader filter and the sun looked grey. Was it a white light filter if it looked orange? I saw the filter 'foil' at the top of the scope and it looked just like the Baader stuff, but obviously wasn't. Is there a filter like the Baader stuff that produces an image of the sun in the nice orange colour I observed. Thanks for any suggestions.

Barry

While some don't like the filters that make the Sun look orange/yellow over the Baader-film ones which make the Sun white & bright - citing lack of resolving-power on sunspots and contrast - some (myself included) find the orange-colour easier on the eyes and thereby promoting viewing for longer periods of time.

Besides - the Sun just seems more natural in orange! :p

Sunny Skies -

Dave

Archived