Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wonderful quick lunar session

johnfosteruk

Have 2 nephews staying today. We went swimming after dinner then watched a movie then it was time for the telescope. Both of the boys were wowed by the lunar views and to be fair so was I. The seeing was rock steady and Dylan (7) said he saw Neil Armstrong, priceless. I took advantage of the opportunity to study some favourites when the boys went to bed. Plato at 200x was terrific. Razor sharp walls and just a sliver of shadow off the east wall, the collapsed part of the west wall the sharpest I've ever seen. 

In Imbrium at 125x the small craters were abundant. Lambert, Pytheas, Delisle & Diophantus among the many as well as Mons Delisle shaped like a shark tooth. Gruithuisen gamma and delta with Gamma's summit Crater are formidable then on past the Carpathian Mountains. 

In the south, Clavius, Tycho and Moretus all stunning, 

It was a lovely quick session and there's much much more in the notes but off to sleep now. 

Archived