Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Below is an image I took at 23:50 on Friday 1st April which captured Vesta in a widefield shot. I've also put up a comparison of the same area of sky up from Skysafari for the same time too, and in the last image (same as the first)  I've highlighted Vesta with a V. My first asteroid captured on my Canon bridge camera. 

Enlight3.thumb.jpg.065265d7a76c7272b7c6c33bfcecbdb1.jpg

IMG_0453.thumb.PNG.8196bedaf8afee600e887e4da64131ae.PNG

Enlight4.thumb.jpg.c7d8a39524f9770c6d503b3957bddcfa.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks. Hope to try more widefield stuff with the camera, especially when the moon is out of the way. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daniel-K said:

what camera are you using?

It's a Canon Powershot SX410 IS that has a 40x manual zoom. The camera was set to approx 25x to 30x zoom. ISO 1600. F5.6 with a 6 second exposure. I was surprised that this short exposure time was enough to start to show star trailing. Will experiment with quicker exposures and see how I go. :) 

Edited by Knighty2112

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BinocularSky
      The latest edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Asteroid occultation of a bright star
      * Neptune appulse with bright star
      * Vesta getting easier
      * Three Mira stars near maximum
      This should be enough to keep you gainfully occupied with your binoculars or small telescope. To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab, where you can subscribe (also free, of course) to have it emailed each month, and get archived copies. 

• By BinocularSky
      The August edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready. As well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * A grazing occultation of a bright star
      * Moon occulting stars in the Hyades
      * See both ice giants as well as Vesta
      * Review of the Celestron EclipSmart 10x25 solar binocular
      I hope it helps you to get the best out of these late summer nights with your binoculars or small telescopes.
      To pick up your free copy, just head over to http://binocularsky.com and click on the Newsletter tab. You can also subscribe (also free) and have it emailed each month.
      Warning: Do not attempt to observe the Sun with any optical system that is not specifically designed for the purpose.
    • By BinocularSky
      The June  edition of the Binocular Sky Newsletter is ready for download. Despite the very short nights, as well as the usual overview of DSOs, variable and double stars, this month we have:
      * Uranus and Neptune are back (just!)
      * Vesta is well-placed and brightening slightly
      * A bright Mira variable is near maximum
      When you next get a clear night sky, grab your binocs (or small telescope) and use this guide to enjoy, and share with others, what the night sky freely offers us this month.
      To get your (free!) copy, or to subscribe (also free) and receive it monthly, please go to http://binocularsky.com and click on the 'Newsletter' tab.
    • By Knighty2112
      As Vesta is currently at approximately magnitude +7.6 and going through Gemini for most of April I intend to try to track it (weather permitting) over this time if possible. As this will be my first ever asteroid hunt and potentially first one ever seen, are there any tips apart from sketching its position against the stars to be able to do this? Below is the fov in my Opticstar AS90S with my 18mm Celestron X-Cel LX  EP that I intend to use for this if possible. 

• By Knighty2112
      Managed to capture Vesta again late last night/early morning after checking outside for clear weather before I went to bed, so had a 30 minute detour from achieving a nice warm bed. Taken with my Canon PowerShot SX410 IS bridge camera piggy backed onto my 4SE Mak, with ISO1600, f5.6 with 5 second exposure, zoom set to approx 25x to 30x zoom. Slight tweaking in my photo editing software Serif Photoplus to clean up a little. Image from Skysafari too showing same area of sky approx at the same time. Last image shows Vesta marked with a V pointing to it.
      Gus

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.