Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lost rubber cap on footer

N3ptune

Hello I have this EQ5 and I believe the rubber at the end of the foot of the tripod was stocked into ice.. and came off. I asked at the store to order new rubber caps only but they say I need to replace the whole footer, the black plastic part. It looks hard to remove off the stainless tube.. it's probably holding inside by a lot of pressure.

Has anyone had this situation before and what was your solution?

This is before:

http://imgur.com/uwmvzX0

This is after with the missing piece

http://imgur.com/4DmRSDM

I always put down my homemade Sorbothane® vibration-pads under the legs anyways, so I'd just ignore it. And do. Those things are always vanishing!

I don't think they really serve any purpose anywho. If you think about it. Aesthetics & symmetry are bullies though. :p

Dave

I never understood what purpose the rubber feet served. I lost one because it split and took off the other two.

If I use the tripod on a hard serface, I bought a set of anti-vibration pads (used) and they do a fine job. Or as Dave in Vermont stated, you can buy some Sorbothane® sheets and make your own.

Tony

Thanks for your suggestions, it's clear now nobody really cares about these rubbers.. I would say like you said Dave, Aesthetics & symmetry are bullies, the rubbers are good with the slippery house floor. 

But Ill get a Sorbothane pad for anti-vibration outside, they are not really expensive like this one bellow. I could cut 6"x6" squares out of it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Isolate-Sorbothane-Vibration-Damping-30-5cm/dp/B004LYGHGM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491049588&sr=8-1&keywords=sorbothane+sheet

I found round disks on Amazon and stacked 2 of them. The plastic-bags are to keep extraneous debris from adhering to them - they are rather tacky and hold little rocks and scraps. For very heavy tripods/scopes, you might want to sandwich them between two wooden-slats or similar.

Dave

58e0102bd8eca_SorbothanePadsc.JPG.ff429673a8005775a3a03efbcf8f54f3.JPG

• 2 months later...

I went against your advices finally and replaced the missing rubber cap on my EQ5, they were 5$ each.. so I bought 3 of them with the metal footer. The mount is better like that especially when I put it on the wood floor inside the house.. I can't stand to hear the bare metal impact on the floor...

kMDRy0H.jpg?1

This is some glass mastic, really sticky I used to hold the new rubber.

39K1zPs.jpg?1

(Sorry if I did my own way again.)

Archived