NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guess where I've been this weekend? (2)

Floater

Thought I might offer another guessing game following Alfian's earlier post, since my good lady and I also had a trip away this weekend.

We travelled SW from Aberdeen on Saturday morning at the start of our quest to see the Northern Lights.

On Saturday night, from about 22.00-23.00 we saw a nice display as the aurora strutted its stuff.

Clues:

There was no light pollution AT ALL.

We were in the company of 120-130 others.

Where were we?

No, we were not in Iceland.

Nor in Kielder (but good guess, although not sure if NL were visible there on Sat.).

We travelled by bus from Aberdeen.

Yes, it was enjoyable (and you're getting 'warm', Alfian).

25 minutes ago, Floater said:

No, we were not in Iceland.

Nor in Kielder (but good guess, although not sure if NL were visible there on Sat.).

We travelled by bus from Aberdeen.

Yes, it was enjoyable (and you're getting 'warm', Alfian).

1 hour ago, Floater said:

Thought I might offer another guessing game following Alfian's earlier post, since my good lady and I also had a trip away this weekend.

We travelled SW from Aberdeen on Saturday morning at the start of our quest to see the Northern Lights.

On Saturday night, from about 22.00-23.00 we saw a nice display as the aurora strutted its stuff.

Clues:

There was no light pollution AT ALL.

We were in the company of 120-130 others.

Where were we?

on a northern lights flight with Pete Lawrence and Nigel Bradbury ?

Scott wins!

Yes indeed, we were on a Northern Lights flight from Glasgow. 

We circled at 37,000ft 'on station' between Shetland and the Faroe Islands for an hour with all lights off: no wing lights or cabin lights and even the No Smoking and Seatbelt lights were off. Very interesting experience.

Just now, Floater said:

Scott wins!

Yes indeed, it was on a Northern Lights flight from Glasgow. 

We circled at 37,000ft 'on station' between Shetland and the Faroe Islands for an hour with all lights off: no wing lights or cabin lights and even the No Smoking and Seatbelt lights were off. Very interesting experience.

its on my bucket list Gordon and Nigel posted some pics on FB so I kinda cheated :D

Intriguing! SW by bus could be to Edinburgh or Glasgow airport for a northern lights specific flight out over Shetland or Orkney, lights out, zero light pollution?

Also SW could be a Hebrides cruise from Oban, again out at sea no LP.

I don't know where you've been but it's conjouring up some nice images in my mind!

10 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Intriguing! SW by bus could be to Edinburgh or Glasgow airport for a northern lights specific flight out over Shetland or Orkney, lights out, zero light pollution?

Also SW could be a Hebrides cruise from Oban, again out at sea no LP.

I don't know where you've been but it's conjouring up some nice images in my mind!

Sorry, Ian, I missed your real name in my excitement (!) and always like to use those when available.

2 hours ago, Scott said:

This is an image Pete Lawrence took on the weekends flight. looks pretty amazing imho

safe_image.php?d=AQCfg7QTN0Nd0Ti6&w=487&h=324&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.digitalsky.org.uk%2Ftemp%2F2017-03-19_NLF-EDI_IMG_7398.png&_nc_hash=AQAAFvW2s8Y7MQAH

Image suppied by permission from Pete Lawrence. is this similar to your flight @Floater?

Yes it is, Scott. But, as ever, the camera - especially when used by someone with Pete's experience - outperforms the human eye when it comes to colour and detail. ?

Did this flight about seven years ago.  As it happens it was the only flight of the entire season when there was no aurora visible!

However at 65 years old it was my first ever flight in an aircraft so I forgave Pete for not arranging the Aurora that night.

23 hours ago, oobydooby said:

Did this flight about seven years ago.  As it happens it was the only flight of the entire season when there was no aurora visible!

However at 65 years old it was my first ever flight in an aircraft so I forgave Pete for not arranging the Aurora that night.

Just to complete the story...

At the airport hotel the next morning we were having a late breakfast when Pete Lawrence walked in.  Jokingly I said I was disappointed as we saw no aurora and demanded my money back.  Pete replied "No chance, it's in my bank account!"

Late last year at BAA weekend in Scotland Pete was one of the speakers and afterwards I met him and told him that I was on an aurora flight some years ago and there was no visible aurora that night.

He frowned, seemingly not recognising me, but suddenly his eyes lit up and he grinned.  "Yes," he said.  "I remember you now, and you're still not getting your money back!"

Archived