NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone else out tonight (17/2)

GazOC

Been to the local observatory tonight playing with the 6". Red filter, Saturn - awesome. Everything was there, Cassini, banding - amazing. I love that planet! Also got to see M78 with a 16" Dob. That was fun too! Home now though and wishing I had energy to go and turn the stuff on but I won't.

Arthur

Just come back in as I can't feel my toes :(

It's been a strange night.

The cloud has threatened to come over several times but has dispersed and the seeing can be terrible for ages then cleared up for quite a while.

I will be going back out again in 5 mins once I have get feeling back :lol:

Cheers

Ian

occn gaps in cloud earlier so set up hoping to grab Saturn. Clouded over more, thought it was going to rain, then cleared. Seeing good :shock: :lol: Got some captured, did a messier tour with the new scope. Grinning from ear to ear. :(

Cold, but did you have a good session Caz?

Martin

No but I wish I had done :lol:

Out last night with friends, got back about 12:30 and was very tempted. It looks like it was clear all night as well, as I've woken up to a clear sky and sunshine.

My skies are showing OK for tonight, and I'm going to try to get some solar in today :(

Finally packed t in at 1.45am last night a large cloud blew over but by the time I packed up and went to bed it had cleared again. Can't complain as I got about 5 hours observing in. :lol::(:p

I'll write an observation log later.

Cheers

Ian

Went out about 7PM to look at Saturn with the boy. We set up the webcam and got some VERY shaky AVIs. Saturn was just over the rooftops so I'm guessing that the shimmer from the heat did that. Tonight Saturn will be just a bit higher up so we'll try again.

Saturn Registaxed will be on the website in half an hour or so, though it's not that great, in fact it's carp.

In for Ed's supper and insulin then our feeding time, so it was getting on for 9PM when i got out again.

No chance to align the mount so I drove it round with the buttons looking at things. Got several better snaps of M42 as I know where that is and that's where the hole in the cloud was. Tried a snap of M45 but it's just too big.

Had big trouble focussing the DSLR properly, as i found out later when I downloaded it onto the laptop, but enough to update the M42 on my website. Must try WH's scary mask idea.

I didn't get the laptop out, as I don't think it likes getting damp and everything was getting wet, and there were no stars to aim at anyway.

Questions from last night:-

When everything gets damp, do I need to dry it before putting it away in it's van (it lives in an old Transit van)?

When the telescope is sat on a table on it's dovetail, is there a correct orientation for the focusser to prevent it's being in the wrong place for viewing?

Are there tube rings with bearings to allow the 'scope to rotate so as to be useable?

Captain Chaos

Questions from last night:-

When everything gets damp, do I need to dry it before putting it away in it's van (it lives in an old Transit van)?

When the telescope is sat on a table on it's dovetail, is there a correct orientation for the focusser to prevent it's being in the wrong place for viewing?

Are there tube rings with bearings to allow the 'scope to rotate so as to be useable?

Captain Chaos

My tube rings are lined with a felt like fabric. I leave the clamp loose enough to permit rotation of the tube without it slipping up and down. When I am viewing objects about about 60 degrees, I tighten the clamps a bit after making sure the focuser is in a usable position. This seems to be standard practice amongst the astronomers I know. If you have a refractor, all you have to rotate is the diagonal.

Archived