SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Case selection

Hi all,

Recently got an ST102 to use as my travel telescope to chuck in the back of the car. Looking for something to keep it safe while transporting, and I'd appreciate any experience/advice.

Basically I've found 2 options that I think are suitable:

http://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-fatmax-23-toolbox-w293mm/1517664_BQ.prd

Or

https://www.cases-and-enclosures.co.uk/aluminium-flight-case-680x300x190mm.html

The 23inch version of the fatmax might be snug...so might need the bigger version. I'd also need to get some foam if I went for the fatmax, so extra money to consider. Although, it could maybe double up as a seat.

As for the flight case, price looks pretty good..however over the years I've seen a variation in sturdiness of aluminium flight cases, and I'm wondering if the reasonable price means it'll be flimsy. Does anyone have experience with cases from this supplier?

Would appreciate people's thoughts on which option might be best - maybe even some first hand experience with similar options.

What is your method of transport?

• House to car to observing sight = cheap flight case (of which I have 6 and would recommend)
  • House to car to airport to baggage handlers to conveyor belt = Peli case 

27 minutes ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi Davy, buy a Peli-case ,superb foam padding can be laser cut to perfection,at a cost! :icon_biggrin: but for safety the cases are hard to beat,

Regards

Mike

I had not really bothered looking at peli cases as I thought they'd be pretty expensive. I might have a wee look around though. Any recommendations of places to look?

17 minutes ago, DRT said:

What is your method of transport?

• House to car to observing sight = cheap flight case (of which I have 6 and would recommend)
  • House to car to airport to baggage handlers to conveyor belt = Peli case 

Sorry I should have made that clearer. It's really for when I go camping, so it'll just be in the back of the car...surrounded by camping/walking gear. And then carried to wherever I pitch my tent. Not looking to take it through an airport. 

Cheers,

Davy 

+1 for the Stanley. I hide the TV85 in the longest one I could find. Same focal length, I believe? Measure twice, buy once.

Fashioned a cradle from leftover foam and electrical tape. Extra block of foam under the flat bit below the case handle keeps the scope pressed down when case is closed.

Obviously not for air travel, but perfect for camping car trip.

5 minutes ago, iPeace said:

+1 for the Stanley. I hide the TV85 in the longest one I could find. Same focal length, I believe? Measure twice, buy once.

Fashioned a cradle from leftover foam and electrical tape. Extra block of foam under the flat bit below the case handle keeps the scope pressed down when case is closed.

Obviously not for air travel, but perfect for camping car trip.

The OTA is about 55cm long with end caps (no diagonal) - 500mm focal length.

Just feel the Stanley would be a bit more rugged than the aluminium flight case...especially for camping. Could probably look at the plastic ones that are waterproof/ resistant.

Don't think I need something as hardcore as a peli case...a bit too pricey for me anyway :tongue2:

4 minutes ago, iPeace said:

You do lose the removable tray that comes with the Stanley, won't fit over the scope.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't sure if I'd still be able to use the tray. 

Would be good if I could get OTA, finder and eyepieces in one box. Might get a bigger box and then a block of foam....rather than trying to squeeze it in the smallest box. I'll still measure twice though...and then another twice for good neasure :tongue2:

I went to a shop beforehand with a tape measure to make sure that the scope would fit. I can actually fit it in with the diagonal inserted.

I use it to stow the scope in the caravan. Would have no qualms.

I squeeze the Rigel finder in with it. Could probably get a couple of eyepieces in, but have separate case for those.

7 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I went to a shop beforehand with a tape measure to make sure that the scope would fit. I can actually fit it in with the diagonal inserted.

I use it to stow the scope in the caravan. Would have no qualms.

I squeeze the Rigel finder in with it. Could probably get a couple of eyepieces in, but have separate case for those.

Yeah I think I'll take a trip to the shops tomorrow and have a look. 

Just measured and I'd be able to leave diagonal in if I went for the 26 inch version. 

Thanks a lot for your advice, it's been really useful :smiley:

Hi Davy. I was in B and Q last week when I noticed this box. A Keter pro 65.8x25.9x10.7 cm. I bought one and it's a great fit for my ST 102 with the polystyrene ends that came with the scope. Better still it is reduced to £14 just now. You can not fit the top tray but there is plenty of room for a finder etc.

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

1 hour ago, laudropb said:

Hi Davy. I was in B and Q last week when I noticed this box. A Keter pro 65.8x25.9x10.7 cm. I bought one and it's a great fit for my ST 102 with the polystyrene ends that came with the scope. Better still it is reduced to £14 just now. You can not fit the top tray but there is plenty of room for a finder etc.

IMG_0136.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

Awesome! That looks like a perfect size. Thanks a lot for the pictures, that's really helpful.

I've actually just got back from B&Q and had seen this, but I noticed that the inside kind of "steps in" and isn't as wide as the outside...if that makes sense. I was worried that it would be tight...looks perfect though! 

Might pop back out...fight through the crowds again....joy :tongue2:

16 minutes ago, laudropb said:

That's what I thought too, but just took the chance and it fits perfectly in the sense that it is a tight squeeze, but that means the scope is held firmly and I do not think it would move when in the carboot.

I've just been out and got the last one in the shop...sticker said £24 but told them I'd seen it online for £14, so got it for £14! What a bargain.

Just tried it out with the polystyrene and it's almost as if this box was made for the ST102. Perfect, snug fit. I'm sure this will keep it safe in the car.

Thanks again for you help and advice :-)

I suppose the next thing to think about is some sort of bag with a strap for my AZ4 mount. I kind of imagine slinging it over my back and setting off into the hills like rambo....or I could just carry it like a normal person :tongue2:

At least my telescope is safe now. Thank you all for your help.

Archived