Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cooled DSLR

AlistairW

Hello,

I happen to own a peltier cooled DSLR. Not used it much since moving to CCD mono. But I am thinking of giving it a run on some clusters. Anyway I digress from my question.

The  design is such that the cooling device is on the side of the camera, and as such the weight balance is offset. I could buy a L bracket and load it up with small lead weights on the opposing side so that once mounted on the scope\  it would be more balanced. But to me it feels like adding more weigh for the focuser tube to handle. Anyone else faced this problem ?

Thanks

Alistair

2 hours ago, AlistairW said:

Hello,

I happen to own a peltier cooled DSLR. Not used it much since moving to CCD mono. But I am thinking of giving it a run on some clusters. Anyway I digress from my question.

The  design is such that the cooling device is on the side of the camera, and as such the weight balance is offset. I could buy a L bracket and load it up with small lead weights on the opposing side so that once mounted on the scope\  it would be more balanced. But to me it feels like adding more weigh for the focuser tube to handle. Anyone else faced this problem ?

Thanks

Alistair

Hi

Yeah, I have the same (though my camera isn't currently working :( ). One possible workaround might be to try and have the heavy heatsink pointing generally down though that might mess up target framing.

Louise

If you mainly image from your own back garden like me then water cooling is the way forward. All that you have to do is hook the cooler up to your garden hose and then trickle water through the water block. As much cooling as you need with almost no weight compared to a standard heat sink and fan.

On 13/03/2017 at 21:52, Thalestris24 said:

Mine has an aluminium heat sink with a fan to take the heat away from the peltier cooler. The controller for the cooler is mounted inside an add-on  battery grip :) I don't think a hose would be helpful - even if I had a garden!

Louise

You just switch out the heat sink and fan for a water-block, lighter weight (so no stress on the focuser) and more effective at cooling the peltier, so you can use a much higher powered peltier. Dont see why that would not be possible but of course if you don't have a garden you can image in its not a good solution due to the lack or portability.  

But if you do you will get almost 10c more temp reduction than you can practically achieve using a heat sink and fan due to weight issues as you are both discovering.  

Incidentally the hose is connected via a 4 mm reducer so that the tubes that actually connect to the cool box are light weight and flexible. 

2 minutes ago, Adam J said:

You just switch out the heat sink and fan for a water-block, lighter weight (so no stress on the focuser) and more effective at cooling the peltier, so you can use a much higher powered peltier. Dont see why that would not be possible but of course if you don't have a garden you can image in its not a good solution due to the lack or portability.  

But if you do you will get almost 10c more temp reduction than you can practically achieve using a heat sink and fan due to weight issues as you are both discovering.  

Incidentally the hose is connected via a 4 mm reducer so that the tubes that actually connect to the cool box are light weight and flexible. 

Um, no garden and confined to a 2nd floor flat so not practical for me. Camera is just gathering dust at the moment anyway.

Louise

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

can you suggest specific kit for this, a couple of relevant links would be useful and maybe some photos of the setup?

water blocks to me are about 3' x 4' and 8" deep :)

thanks

On 15/03/2017 at 19:07, iapa said:

can you suggest specific kit for this, a couple of relevant links would be useful and maybe some photos of the setup?

water blocks to me are about 3' x 4' and 8" deep :)

thanks

This should give you the idea.

DSC04786.JPG

Archived