Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Sub from my MESU 200

kirkster501

A ten minute Ha sub of M81, no flats or anything, just a raw sub from the TEC 140 before it clouds over - which it looks like doing any moment now.  But Hallelujah, at last, A SUB after six weeks of cloud!!!! :)

58c06b13ef9fe_ScreenShot2017-03-08at20_32_56.thumb.png.3d17902336d62bdaf136e5510ef96cc0.png

How curious Steve.  I'm out in my hut using my Mesu to take Ha images of M81 too.  But 10 minutes?  You'll easily manage 30 mins. :icon_biggrin: 

The sub looks great Steve.  Congratulations - it seems like it has taken a while....

29 minutes ago, gnomus said:

How curious Steve.  I'm out in my hut using my Mesu to take Ha images of M81 too.  But 10 minutes?  You'll easily manage 30 mins. :icon_biggrin: 

The sub looks great Steve.  Congratulations - it seems like it has taken a while....

Hi Steve, many thanks.  I'm starting from a low base of 5 mins subs on my NEQ6 so by my standards 10 mins is going some ;)  Yes, I will up the Ha times to 30 mins. I don't think LRGB will stand that long, I am too close to Nottingham.  I'm also pretty much directly under a flight path so a lot of subs get trashed due to air trails.

It's clouded over (surprise) so rolled the roof back on.  How easy it is when you have an obs! :)

30 minutes ago, gnomus said:

Ever the optimist. 30 minutes only if the sky is without cloud for that long. :clouds1:

6 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Hi Steve, many thanks.  I'm starting from a low base of 5 mins subs on my NEQ6 so by my standards 10 mins is going some ;)  Yes, I will up the Ha times to 30 mins. I don't think LRGB will stand that long, I am too close to Nottingham.  I'm also pretty much directly under a flight path so a lot of subs get trashed due to air trails.

It's clouded over (surprise) so rolled the roof back on.  How easy it is when you have an obs! :)

No I quite agree about LRGB.  10 minutes is all I've gone for so far.  I might try 15 mins on the next project.  

Sorry to hear about the cloud.  I have been getting great guiding so far, but no doubt the crud is heading my way ..... ho hum....

Congratulations on finally getting to use the Mesu Steve.WOW It has been a long time!

Its still fairly clear here with some thin high cloud. Forecast says it should clear by midnight. I'm imaging M51 at the moment. Haze below 30° so went for NGC2403 earlier while waiting for M51 to get higher, but NGC2403 will need a lot of time.

I just wish my Mesu was here right now instead of end of the month cos your sub looks very impresive :D  

9 hours ago, Star101 said:

Congratulations on finally getting to use the Mesu Steve.WOW It has been a long time!

Its still fairly clear here with some thin high cloud. Forecast says it should clear by midnight. I'm imaging M51 at the moment. Haze below 30° so went for NGC2403 earlier while waiting for M51 to get higher, but NGC2403 will need a lot of time.

I just wish my Mesu was here right now instead of end of the month cos your sub looks very impresive :D  

Thanks! Yes it's just taken forever and been incredibly frustrating, as we are all only too familiar in UK after buying expensive new gear!  I got some clear sky time in at least last night before that sub and got a precise polar alignment and I learned more about my autofocuser and SGP.  It then started to get cloudy and I got three subs of Ha on M81, one of which is posted above. It clouded over where I am at 9 so I rolled the roof back on. Stayed cloudy until 11 and then cleared.  It was too late for me to restart then though since needed to be up at 5 for work today.

13 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

I don't think you need to lose subs due to plane trails. In AstroArt I would use the Repair Line feature first, on the affected sub. That will, at least, greatly diminish it. After that you can use a Sigma stacking routine which should lose the rest but if anything survives you can run repair line again on it. And the last resort in Ps is to rotate the whole canvas till the line is horizontal or vertical and use the appropriate Nooel's Action (Remove horizontal/vertical banding) as a layer underneath and then just erase the affected part of the top layer. I'm quite good at this since Tom's elederly 11 Meg has a braod multi pixel wide dead colmumn! Other programmes will have tools, too, I'm sure.

Nice to see the sub come in and its as tight as a drum.

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I don't think you need to lose subs due to plane trails. In AstroArt I would use the Repair Line feature first, on the affected sub. That will, at least, greatly diminish it. After that you can use a Sigma stacking routine which should lose the rest but if anything survives you can run repair line again on it. And the last resort in Ps is to rotate the whole canvas till the line is horizontal or vertical and use the appropriate Nooel's Action (Remove horizontal/vertical banding) as a layer underneath and then just erase the affected part of the top layer. I'm quite good at this since Tom's elederly 11 Meg has a braod multi pixel wide dead colmumn! Other programmes will have tools, too, I'm sure.

Nice to see the sub come in and its as tight as a drum.

Olly

I can testify to that.  Indeed, sometimes I wonder if there are more dead columns that live ones!  Only joking Olly and Tom.  :evil4:

PixInsight always does a great job for me removing these plane trails using 'Winsorised Sigma Clipping' (whatever that is).  Trouble is you need 10+ subs ideally.  10 x 30 mins, is about a month of imaging in these here midlands.

1 hour ago, gnomus said:

I can testify to that.  Indeed, sometimes I wonder if there are more dead columns that live ones!  Only joking Olly and Tom.  :evil4:

PixInsight always does a great job for me removing these plane trails using 'Winsorised Sigma Clipping' (whatever that is).  Trouble is you need 10+ subs ideally.  10 x 30 mins, is about a month of imaging in these here midlands.

I've told him but he won't listen!

:icon_mrgreen:lly

The chances of a 30 min sub not getting clouded out around these parts are about the same as me being Wimbledon Men's Singles Champion next year whilst balancing a cup of water on my head with a blindfold on, i.e. ZERO!

Well done Steve.  I've been following your threads (auto focus too) and have been smilling at your enoyment with your new mount and relatively new TEC140.  Got to have top gear!  I look forward to a complete image in the coming months :thumbsup:.

Archived