Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Standard DSLRs

Newbie question alert..

If I was to buy a DSLR with a view to using it for both astro and normal photography, what is the best route to take ?

The Canon 450d seems to be highly recommended. It is much easier to justify the expense if it is possible to still use it for nornal photography rather than have it only used a handful of times a year ( if this weather was to persist..

Is there a halfway house or is it all or nothing ?

I'm in no rush, but I like to plan ahead to make sure I dont go down any blind alleys when parting with my money!

Cheers

The most popular DSLR's for astro use are the Canon ones. I think this is due to the Canons being easier to control from a PC.

I have a 350d and use it with dslr focus to take long exposures and aid in focussing. I am not suire if it is compatible with the 400/450d thats why I bought the 350d.

You can also get the camera modified to allow more of the Ha deep red light through as the built in infra red filter removes a large percentage of Ha light. This costs a couple of hundred and also means you have to play about with any images taken during daylight to restore the white balance. I have not done this and am very happy with the performance of the canon as is.

So, whilst the mod is a great addition for dedicated astrophotographers, it is not essential to get satisfactory results.

I shall have a hunt around for pictures to see what can be achieved with an unmodified camera.

Thanks

You'll have no problems finding a lot of great pictures on here taken with Canons :hello2: Some very talented and committed people around!

Trev

P.S. Check out Matt (Vega)'s profile or website for some great examples.

You can't go wrong with the canons, 350/400/450 all seem very good, depending on your budget. I have a 400D and control it from my laptop - I also use it for happy snaps and tourist shots - it's not modded and it probbaly won't be (might buy another one for that).

Sam

hi guys could i just let you know that fuji also do a DSLR which is very good for both Astro and standard photography also it is one of only a very few DSLRs that can have a standard bulb or chord shutter release used with it most others require a very expensive electronic remote shutter operating device regards Pete

Canons are a great choice for Astro imaging. Not just PC friendly but the very low noise cmos chips are well suited to low light work. I use a Canon350d some of my shots are unmodded some post IR filter mod. Check them out below for comparison.

Ha sensitivity is poor with the standard IR blocking filter in place though, unless you get it modded. ( makes a dramatic difference)

This mod does not render it useless for daytime shots though. You can as has been mentioned adjust the white balance for daytime shots when using jpeg mode.

Shooting in raw mode you don't need to. You can adjust the white balance later in photoshop or similar software. no problem.

My 350d is Baader modded and still used for daylight shots. I only shoot in Raw mode so white balance adjustment isn't an issue.

Canon 350D Pre and Post modded Pics

http://www.pbase.com/moultie/astro_photography

Dave

Thanks for the link to your page Dave! That has more than answered my question.

All of your results look stunning, and if I could eventually achieve results with only a fraction as good as those I'll be happy!

I'm going to be sensible and take things very slowly (afterall the shopping list is long and the wallet is empty) but I think I'm now clear what the equipment route is..

SkyWatcher Newtonian 8 or 10" on a HEQ5.

Skywatcher 80 Refractor guide scope.

DLink NetQam (CCD) as guide camera (already have this)

Canon 350d/450d for imaging.

Sundries (eyepieces, reducers,filters, software)

Eeek... my list is growing.... :hello2:

Thanks for the link to your page Dave! That has more than answered my question.

All of your results look stunning, and if I could eventually achieve results with only a fraction as good as those I'll be happy!

I'm going to be sensible and take things very slowly (afterall the shopping list is long and the wallet is empty) but I think I'm now clear what the equipment route is..

SkyWatcher Newtonian 8 or 10" on a HEQ5.

Skywatcher 80 Refractor guide scope.

DLink NetQam (CCD) as guide camera (already have this)

Canon 350d/450d for imaging.

Sundries (eyepieces, reducers,filters, software)

Eeek... my list is growing.... :hello2:

Cheers Wayne,

Actually the Bubble Neb pic is a weak one, but it does illustrate the difference between pre and post modded camera sensitivity in Ha

Yep it's a deep pocket hobby alright brace yourself.

Some good news for you is that a lot of the software you will need for Astro imaging is free.

Ascom Platform for EQMOD

Registax & DSS for stacking etc.

I like your shopping list by the way, except I think you would be pushing it for imaging on an EQ5 mount with a 10" Newt plus guide scope. The Newt route for imaging is a good choice but don't dismiss the small refractor route either. Most of the pics on the link I sent you were taken with a ED80 Skywatcher refractor.

Just about all of my gear is second hand by the way might save you a few shillings.

A last word about cameras, although the now older Canon 350d is only 8 Megapixels the pixel size is bigger than in the 450d as the chip size is the same. Bigger pixels size is not always a detrimental factor in Astro imaging, sometimes it's an advantage. I think a second hand 350d would be a good starting point, you can get it modded later on if you wish.

A link to second hand astro Adds

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

Good luck with the shopping

Dave

I Picked up a secondhand 350d yesterday to add to the list of DSLR's :hello2: dont think it will be too longbefore it gets modded as its goign to be the dedicated astro cam. I am probably just goign to remove the filter as I use external LP filters ( Hutech Idas and Lumicon deep sky) which should do the IR cut and I am not bothered about autofocus etc.

Billy...

Archived