Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense auto alignment error

Just brought a new Celestron Evolution 9.25 with Starsense. Connected everything together and did a test during the day with SkyPortal. Auto align of cause failed as it could not see any stars, but the scope moved as i tapped the direction keys on the tablet and the bulls eye move across the screen. I also tested the align and calibrate as you would. 

First night out auto align fails with "Alignment error too large" ummm. Auto manual, where you select the area of sky the Starsense points to success, yippee. Fantastic nights viewing.

Last night same thing auto align will not work with the same error message.

Out with the manuals this morning and set-up the scope. I think its something to do with the "alignment" i did when i first played with the scope during the day.

Now if I connect Sky Portal and select a star and tap align I get "Align 8 out of 10" so I assume I have 7 alignments in the system.

1. So how can I see what the other 7 alignments are?

2, Can I delete the alignments so the SkySense is at factory default?

So far have done a reset on the mount and did a "reset alignment" using the HC - nothing has cleared the 7 alignments the SkyPortal is reporting. I have deleted and re-downloaded the SkyPortal but still getting "Align 8 of 10" message so 7 must still be aligned. Where is this data held, the HC or mount or app or camera?

Frustration abounds, the manuals are no help at all; Anyone had the same issues and managed to solve them?

I have found restore defaults in the handset so lets see if that helps.

As a supposeingly easy to use accessory, its very frustrating.

I watched a YouTube video of Skysafri pro that allows you to change the alignment off-set. Can not change it in SkyPortal, why?

I have e-mailed Celestron asking how to view the alignment stars or reset them. I will post their reply.

On 3/5/2017 at 13:52, Flyingfuzz said:

First night out auto align fails with "Alignment error too large" 

I have seen that once or twice. It could be caused by backlash, so try shifting the OTA in the clamp so that it is a little nose heavy and checking that the final movement is up.

I never did figure out what the stored alignment is for.

9 hours ago, Flyingfuzz said:

I have e-mailed Celestron asking how to view the alignment stars or reset them. I will post their reply

I don't think you can view the alignment stars - according to the display there could be over 100.

Thanks for the advise, I will try the handset and see how that works.

I find it very annoying that the HC can show an error message and Celestron list no error messages and how to correct it. I have already spent several hours on something that may only take minutes to resolve.

Cosmic Geoff, by alignment stars I mean the 10 extra stars you can use to help alignment.

22 minutes ago, Flyingfuzz said:

Cosmic Geoff, by alignment stars I mean the 10 extra stars you can use to help alignment.

I'm not sure what you mean.  You can have up to 10 reference points, according to the manual. (default is 3 or 4 areas) but these are not stars.  I have not fully explored this.

In Solar System Align you can add alignment objects (selected from catalog.) This is a handy work-around if you start observing at dusk - the auto align does not like bright skies.

Yes the 10 reference points. I am sure i did not put them in properly as I was testing the mount AND believed these would be erased on switch off.

Still no reply from Celestron so their Customer Service sucks, very poor of them.

I now have Starsafari Plus installed so we will see what happens at the next clear night.

Once you have created a model you get additional menu options under the Align button to review alignment points and to completely reset the model. These options only appear if you've successfully run an alignment. 

Purchased Sky Safari Plus and the help section has a whole help file on Telescope control. I now know more about alignment from a 3rd party than from Celestron.

How Celestron could miss out this information is jaw dropping.

Had a peply from Celestron.

Hello Keith, 

Thank you for patience.

You cannot test the Starsense during the day. 
To reset go to the Menu> Hand Control> Reset to Defaults and Menu > Starsense> Reset AIS Camera.

Well you can test the app connected to the scope during the day AND use the goto AND adjust the alignment, because that's exactly what I did.

So did the reset and now if I connect the app to the scope and tap align it says alignment 1 of 10. Result.

Reading the Sky Safari help makes sense, here the relevant bits.

Align: This synchronizes the scope to coordinates of the selected object. The bullseye indicator in the sky chart shows where the telescope thinks it is pointing. If that appears incorrect, the scope and the software must be synchronized. To do this:

1. Physically point the scope at a real star in the sky, using SkySafari's arrow buttons or the scope control panel. Center the object in the eyepiece.

2. Select that same object in SkySafari to make it the current target object. Do this by tapping the object in the sky chart, or by searching for it by name.

3. Tap the Align button.

Notes on Alignment

Note: for Celestron NexStar, Orion/SkyWatcher SynScan, iOptron GOTONova, and ServoCAT telescope controllers, tapping the Align button stores the offset between the telescope's reported position and the selected object's position. It subtracts that offset from the telescope's reported position whenever the telescope is within 10 degrees of the object you Aligned on. In other words, SkySafari performs a "local sync" around the alignment target. If you move the telescope to a very different part of the sky, you may want to Align on a target in that part of the sky. Also note that the telescope's RA/Dec reported by SkySafari will differ from the RA/Dec reported by its hand controller (since SkySafari is applying the alignment offset to the telescope's reported position.)

Note: for encoder-based "Push-To" systems, like the Tangent Instruments BBox, Celestron Astro-Master, JMI NGC-MAX, and Orion Intelliscope, SkySafari lets you perform a multi-star alignment (up to 10 stars). This eliminates the need to level your telescope mount base. Simply set up your telescope, point it at the first alignment star, select that star in SkySafari, and tap "Align". Repeat the process with a second alignment star, choosing "Align" rather than "Restart Alignment" when asked. Your encoders should now be aligned to the sky. You can continue to align on additional stars; SkySafari only uses the most recent 10 stars aligned on. If you want to forget the pervious alignment stars and align as your first star, choose "Restart Alignment".

Make sure your two alignment stars are at least 10 degrees apart; 90 degrees apart is ideal. SkySafari will warn you if your alignment stars are too close together, or if their positions don't match - for example, if you've accidentally selected the wrong alignment star in SkySafari, or you're not really pointing the telescope at that star in the sky.

SkySafari remembers the telescope's alignment until you quit the app, so you should not have to realign if you disconnect (or are accidentally disconnected) from the encoder control box. However, if you accidentally kick the telescope mount, or otherwise destroy your alignment, you can realign without having to quit SkySafari. To start over, point the telescope at a star, select the same star in SkySafari, and tap Align. When given the option, align on the star as the "First Star". That will reset SkySafari's alignment process and start it over with the star you just selected.

Starsense is brilliant;  that is once you work it out. But it can initially be frustrating as the manual is frankly awful. However, I recommend that you learn how to use it with BOTH tablet and HC. More simply, as you address each extra step; such as calibration; or add additional alignment stars etc., make sure that you learn how to do it with both control devices, albeit that you can only ever use one device for any alignment.

You might be surprised how often a tablet/WiFi fails. The favourite cause is "WiFi Clutter". At least with a HC you do have a fall back and hence your trip to a "Dark Sky" site isn't spoilt. Worst case scenario, don't tread on your tablet! I did my spectacles and Tablet in just two steps after tripping in the dark. 

But a more fundamental issue is that even in 'SkySafari Pro' there are a few advanced things  that you simply can't do with tablet and WiFi. For example; Celestron have never asked Simulation Curriculum to implement a Polar Align on Wedge routine (but my advice is don't buy a wedge; get a GEM!). The learning curve can be just too steep later if you don't learn both. Using a tablet is like learning to drive in an automatic; then finding that your only possible journey home is in a car with a manual gearbox.

Archived