Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kielder Spring 2017

Dixie

All hard standings are now booked for Kielder Spring 22 - 27 March but we have some tent pitches left.   All the information you need is at  kielderforeststarcamp.org  You can come earlier, or stay later.

If you don't know the event it's based over five nights on Kielder Campsite in the darkest part of the Northumberland International Dark Sky Park.

Lots of cash has been spent on the site with more hard standing, dark sky friendly lighting, 24/7 large warm room, new toilet block and improved drainage.  We welcome experienced observers and novices.

The main day is at Kielder Castle on Saturday 25 March and is FREE to everyone.  We'll have talks on exo-planets, remote observatories and more, plus astro boot sale. Runs between 11am to 4pm.

Last year we had a lovely aurora on the last night of the event.  Pix Stu Atkinson.

If you can join us we'd love to see you.

img_0551b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now so I wondered who else on SGL was attending.

Ill be there for fridqy and saturdy night so fingers crossed for clear skies. I dont have an observing plan yet but im going to draw something up this weekend along with a few bits I want to sort out on the scope.

Cheers

Quite a few changes Mark - all positive. Big new warm room, refurbished toilets, better drainage, more hard stands, and full time dark sky friendly lighting outside of our event dates.  Looking forward to meeting everyone next week. Pix Stu Atkinson.

img_4327.jpg

Back home late last night and we've spent all day in the (thankfully sunny) garden washing down groundsheets, the bottom of the awning, and all the other essential post-Kielder housekeeping.

Just want to thank everyone for a fabulous weekend.  Obviously Lynn, Kevin and Richard because without them we wouldn't have such a wonderful Starcamp, to Derek for help above-and-beyond with a badly behaved awning and a completely flat car battery, to Rob for his endless patience and advice, and for all the other folk who I won't even try to name because I will miss someone out, but if you spent any time with us and Daisy-dog then you know who you are!

After a fairly miserable start where I threatened to go and look for a wooden boat and animals in pairs, the weather cleared and we had some of the best skies you could possibly wish for.  The night-time viewing was awesome and I had a (nearly) all day session with the Lunt on Saturday, and another few hours solar watching on Sunday before we packed up.  The massive prominence we watched on Saturday is still there and very changeable, with a lovely active region and two big spots visible today.

58d91ad280f92_KielderSpring2017-01.jpg.709f39399848f03f20207bc38c8f9338.jpg

Thanks to everybody who came along to a pretty spectacular 26th starcamp.  We will be doing it again this October. Bookings for that open in the next couple of days.

Richard

Archived