Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 half pillar extension

Manxstar

Just recieved 16 inch pillar extension for my new HEQ5 mount :clouds1: Although not sure when I can actually use it due to the summer weather :hello2: I have connected it to the HEQ5 tripod and mount and I am very pleased with the quality and build.I was worried about how to connect it, but even with my very limted ability using an allen key the whole process was very quick and simple. It is clear that this extension is going to make a huge difference to using my Helios 150mm refractor!! No more kneeeling on the ground :lol: :lol: Would recommend this pillar to anyone with a refractor and HEQ5 mount.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be very interested how stable you find whole setup is with the extension piece in place. I have a heavy 152mm f5 Petzval refractor that is shorter than a f8 but weighs about the same, I'd love to be able to put it on my HEQ5.

I must have read your report Gaz. but not having the mount at that time, I must have put the info into the non recoverable memory drawer. :hello2:

Anyway my friend, I'm convinced I must now get the extension, because I am definitely too old to grovel about on the ground. £50 is worth it to stop gravel rash. :clouds1:

Ron

I mentioned in a recent post, that whilst on holiday in London I went to the Widescreen Centre.

It was a bad time to go as they were preparing to evacuate stuff down to Devon. S.W.A.F.

However, I did see an EQ6 Pro with the extension in place, and a WO 152 Apo perched on the mount. Looked amazing. I believe you asked about the price of the 152 Gaz., but I didn't see one, and it was obvious the guy in the shop was harrassed to death, so I contented myself with a 5 minute look in the window, and left. If that Apo is content to be on there, I shall have no qualms over my Achromatic 6"

:hello2:

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bought the HEQ5 pillar extension and was surprised how well made and heavy it was. The maker is Orion so it should be fairly good for £50.00 and like Manxstar I bought it from the Widescreen center. It took all of 5 minutes to fit it and it feels very rigid but of course the true test is out in the field. I got fed up of almost lying down to look at overhead objects so hopefully this should alleviate some of the problems. Steve

Hi Manxstar, I am in the SE of England and the weather is atrocious but hopefully it should improve. The mount does feel very stable and I was surprised at the weight so lets hope we get some good weather soon. Steve

FINALLY managed to use my new HEQ5 mount with 16 inch extension last night:). Was very pleased with both the mount and extension, very steady and made using my 150mm refractor much more enjoyable).The only problem is that the mount tripod and extension weigh a ton, and nearly did my back in moving it!! Now need to think of saving for an observatory!!

Hi Manxstar you have my deepest sympathy.I have to carry mine across the garden but when set up it is a superb mount and like you said very sturdy and no more neck ache, except maybe the back :D Thanks once again for the post it is the best bit of kit I have bought in ages.Steve

Steve,glad to hear both our necks have benefitted from this great value piece of kit :D I have finally been able to see parts of the night sky that would have required a neck brace to view before :D How you carry it so far is beyond me, you are clearly in better shape than me!!But it is worth the strain for the great views :( Thanks for the great feedback, always good to hear other folks experiences with the same kit.David

Archived