Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 half pillar extension

Manxstar

I bought a 16ins extension from Widescreen whilst at Kelling Heath and with the aid of my friend Simon managed to fit it to my Bresser 5ins refractor mounted on a Bresser EQ5 type tripod. It entailed filing 1/8th in. off the side of the protuding nib on top of the tripod and the corresponding nib on the top of the extension also needs some metal removing to fit the Bresser mount base. Now much easier to view near the zenith and no more back bending whilst sighting and lining up on selected object. It's pretty heavy though and adds to the weight of mount and tripod when carrying out and assembling. Good so far !

old codger

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you are braver than me with the modifications, I would terrified of changing things, but glad to hear it has all been a great success. bThe extension has made using my refractor a much more pleasant experience :) , despite the weight

• 3 months later...

Sorry to dig up and old thread but Im considering purchasing one of these for my HEQ5. Does anyone have a pic / drawing of how it connects to the tripod ? and to the mount ? Is there a gap in the back of the tube to get your hand in to tighten the bolt to the mount ?

Cheers,.

Simon, the head is attached to the extension via three Allen screws, which seem to hold the scope very well. The base of the extension is also held via three screws while the base is attached in the normal way, once secured the whole mount is very secure and if you are using a refractor will make a lot of difference to your viewing. This little piece of kit is one of the few things that I have really used and thought yes this was a good buy and really does the job. It does add some weight but not that much. Steve

Archived