Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus 27/2/17

mikeDnight

Very nice sketches Mike I manage a 20 minute view myself last night, before the inevitable clouds rolled in. I thought I could see some shadow detail but not sure if it was artifactual. On seeing your sketch the seem to be very similar. I have only a rough at the eyepiece sketch and the shadow details are over emphasised, but I will post it to see what you think.

IMG_0133.JPG

37 minutes ago, laudropb said:

Very nice sketches Mike I manage a 20 minute view myself last night, before the inevitable clouds rolled in. I thought I could see some shadow detail but not sure if it was artifactual. On seeing your sketch the seem to be very similar. I have only a rough at the eyepiece sketch and the shadow details are over emphasised, but I will post it to see what you think.

IMG_0133.JPG

That's excellent! It doesn't matter that its just an eyepiece sketch, you've caught all the same detail positioned in the same places on the globe. I'm genuinely thrilled to see your sketch and hope you post more in the future. It seems you have a high sensitivity to UV. :icon_biggrin:

It looks from your observation that you didn't use any coloured filters? I rarely use filters myself as I have little difficulty in detecting the dusky markings, which usually correspond to the circulating currents in Venus atmosphere. Sometimes there can be a mere contrast effect but more often than not they are real, though subtle, features.

Superb!! :thumbsup:

Mike 

Thanks Mike. I also do not use filters  very often. Have not found them to be that useful. I was an Electron Microscopist for more than 30 years so I guess my eyes are trained to pick out subtle details. I will make a final copy of this sketch in my observers log book. I have to sharpen the cusps which were much clearer at the eyepiece and the top of the crescent is a bit on the flat side. I am no artist, but I do enjoy sketching the views.

Excellent stuff chaps! I think that is pretty conclusive that you are both independently seeing same detail. I guess my eyes just aren't that sensitive as I really don't see anything definite on Venus unfortunately.

10 hours ago, laudropb said:

Thanks Mike. I also do not use filters  very often. Have not found them to be that useful. I was an Electron Microscopist for more than 30 years so I guess my eyes are trained to pick out subtle details. I will make a final copy of this sketch in my observers log book. I have to sharpen the cusps which were much clearer at the eyepiece and the top of the crescent is a bit on the flat side. I am no artist, but I do enjoy sketching the views.

I think artistic talent must out of neccessity take a back seat when it comes to observational sketching. Truthfulness and accuracy are far more important and will gain you far greater respect than a pretty picture. Having said that, its pleasing to produce a sketch that appears to replicate, as far as possible, the actual view in the eyepiece.  

Mike ☺

I agree Mike. I think getting things to scale and in the right positions relative to one and other is my main aim. I managed my first WL observation of the this year .Some lovely spots on view and did a sketch, but I must be out of practice because when I checked I found the spots to be positionally well out. Oh well, back to the drawing board as they say.

Archived