NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Weather sealed worthwhile?

sheeprug

Hi All, I'm in the process of deciding on which DSLR to buy and wondering if, from an astro perspective with dew etc, whether going to the extra expense of getting a weather sealed body such as  the Nikon D7200 or Canon 80d is worthwhile?  Otherwise the choice is probably either the D5600 or 750d.  Of course, other suggestions also considered....

SR.

It may depend on how you are going to use the camera. Under 'normal' conditions, weather sealing should not be such an issue when used with 'due-care'.

+ the 750D is almost 200g lighter than the 80D so balancing may be easier.

Weather sealing only realy works if you have an "L" type lens connected otherwise the camera internals are open to the elements anyway, the 80D is a good low noise camera and the wifi option of it and the 750D lets you shoot and view remotely.

Alan

On 05/02/2017 at 21:06, Alien 13 said:

But but thats a Nikon....:confused2:

only joking of course :icon_biggrin:

Alan

Yes..., but it looks a good choice based on (a) dynamic range (according to some reports anyway) and (b) lack of anti alias filter. Of course, I'd LOVE it if you came up with a convincing reason for the canon. For what it's worth, I've always had a leaning towards Canon kit - I have a couple of old T70 bodies and a few FD lenses in the attic(offers considered!). However, a change could be a good thing.....

SR.

10 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

...available software? That's a big reason.

So what, specifically, does the Canon s/w do that Nikon s/w doesn't?  I start with the assumption that the quality of the initial capture is top top priority because, to put it bluntly, you can't polish a turd.

SR.

Well just be sure before you buy your DSLR that the software you will use for your astrophotography supports your camera choice. Generally, Canon is better supported than Nikon in my experience. Things are improving all the time though. For example, I found that CR2 files are supported universally but not so NEF files.

Archived