Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting started with guiding....

I'm putting some serious thought into adding a guiding setup to add to my 150PDS and EQ3Pro Synscan.   I'm not in the mood to go for a big heavy setup as I'm near the limit of my mount already.

Does anyone have an opinion on this lightweight guidescope from QHY?  http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/qhy-accessories/qhy-miniguidescope-kit/ 

It seems that paired with a QHY5L-II, it might make a useful lightweight addition to my set up.  I could also use the QHY5L-II as a planetary camera for fun too (or maybe even as a polar scope cam too while setting up....)

I've read a few articles suggesting newer high res/high sensitivity cams such as the QHY5L-ii don't need massive guidescopes these days.  So, I'm tempted.

Also, how would I set this up?  I can already use EQMOD on my laptop to connecto the the SynScan handset in 'PC Direct' mode via RS232.   My guess is  this:  qyh5L-ii connects to laptop USB.  PHD2 receives info.  EQMOD receives signals from PHD2 then EQMOD sends subtle guiding instructions to mount through the RS232 connection.    Maybe I don't need a ST4 connector at all.  Or would and ST4 connector go straight from the QHY5L-ii to the ST4 port on the Synscan, bypassing the need for a laptop altogether?

Any advice much appreciated!

Check out the pinned post under 'imaging - Tips, Tricks & Techniques' it's an excellent guide to setting up PHD.

To answer, your last question regarding guiding via ASCOM or ST-4, you can go either route, I believe the jury is still out on if one connection method is better than the other.

Steve

Hi

I use that guide scope on my 130pds with a Qhy5L-ii
it is very light and only adds a few grams to your set up, not had any problems so far in acquiring guide stars, not used eqmod

i connect camera power to pc via usb, camera direct to mount via st4 port for guiding, in PhD i select on camera

if you want to do away with laptop then i think you would need one of the stand alone set ups like

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/guide-cameras/skywatcher-synguider-autoguider.html

If you go for the finder guider, try to attach the guidescope to the 150PDS rings, and not in the finder shoe. The finder shoe may introduce flexure, which will ruin guiding.

As for the software: laptop with PHD or Raspberry Pi with PHD or Lin_guider. The latter option can run stand alone, you only need a laptop to set it up.

If you connect to a laptop, consider getting an eqdir cable:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Just verify that it also works for an EQ3 (it should). This way you won't need the handset anymore.

Hope this helps,

tomato - thanks for the link.  I'd not seen that pinned post before - great reading!

Wim - thanks for the tips.    I thought about a EQDIR cable already but I'm sort of happy connecting through the handset at the mo.  I don't have a gamepad to control EQMOD so having the handset is still a big convenience for me...

Archived