Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice For Eyepiece and Mount

Hey, I bought my first telescope about 3 months ago, and I am really enjoying both observing and taking simple photos through it. It is a Celestron Nexstar 130 SLT. I will be buying a eyepiece set soon that includes a 6mm and 17mm Plössl eyepieces, a 2x Barlow, a #80a blue, #25 red and a moon filter. I am also looking at buying a low power eyepiece like a 32mm omni plössl. I was just wondering though, would that last buy be worth it, compared to what I get from the 25mm eyepiece I got with my telescope? The magnification is not that much lower, but is the higher quality of the eyepiece worth the buck?

Also I can already feel right now that I want to move deeper into astrophotography, as even at this level is has been very awarding for me. The Az-Alt mount here is the issue though. So I am considering starting to save up for a Celestron Advanced VX Mount. Pros and cons for this mount? I know that I probably shouldn't settle for a lower priced one, as I might as well buy something proper, without needing to upgrade for quite a while, as I would also buy a bigger OTA sometime after in the future (quite far out for both of them, but still).
Also, if I were to end up buying that mount, would I be able to fit the 130mm OTA from my nexstar on to it, until I would get my hands on one properly designed for an equatorial mount?

Cheers!
//Mathias

Hi Mathis,

Not being an expert, I think a 32mm would be a good choice of eyepiece for widefield views. Just remember that when used with your 2X Barlow, it will be close to the 17mm Plössl.

Onto the mount, not an expert here either. It is always get one that you feel comfortable with and will last you a few 'bigger' scope upgrades too. After all  you want something that is going to offer you a sturdy platform and built to last.

Hope this helps.

Usually the eyepiece kits are advised against. I have never yet used a filter in 18 years, and that includes a moon filter also, never needed one and why I would want a green moon or Jupiter or Saturn is beyond comprehension to me. So my opinion is buy a couple of relevant eyepieces and keep the rest for the mount. One other aspect I have seen is if you do decide on the kit make sure that all the eyepieces are what you expect. I have seen it where the (single) plossl is referred to and the remainder are huygens.

Cannot say,or suggest, eyepieces, simply as I think there are more then one scope referred to as 127 SLT and at this time not sure if that is correct and if it is then not sure what you have. Half a memory says it could be Mak or reflector.

The AVX  mount seems reasonable/good so you should be fine with that one. As much for information the AZ-EQ5 looks like an alternative, looks a bit more solid. Personally not keen on SKywatcher mounts but I would certainly consider it over the AVX.

Thanks a lot for the inputs guys! I'll probably be buying that set no matter what as it is a great deal for me. 121$ for the whole set. I do want a barlow, a more powerful lens and moon filter, and those by themselves would cost me around 100$. So getting an extra eyepiece, a microfiber cloth, a case and two filters for 20$ doesn't seem bad to me. But you might be right in that it will be limited how much I'll use the filters, and I didn't even think of the eye-relief aspect. I'll give it some more thought until I decide.
I am also quite limited to what I can actually buy here as I live in Denmark, and there isn't that many places to buy this kind of stuff. Some things I can find on the amazon-uk, but then again, they are not always able to ship it to me at a reasonable fee.

I've been observing the moon from time to time, and it is very bright, especially closer to full-moon, hence I'd want my hands on a moon-filter. Also for the added contrast of course.
Both the supplied eyepieces are Plössl.
The 130 SLT is a Newtonian Reflector :)

There is a bigger eyepiece set than this one, which is the one I often hear advised against. This one is more "middle" tier, in terms of how many items you actually get.

I'll check out that mount you mentioned! Might as well do a lot of research as to what I should get.

Any of you know if I could fit my 130mm Celestron OTA on an equatorial mount? Or does it specifically need the attachment "rings"? (whatever they are called)

13 minutes ago, John said:

Is this the set what you are thinking of buying ?:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/powerseeker-accessory-kit

If it is, in all honesty it is not very good. I have seen this set for sale at £40 GBP so $121 is not a good deal.

Nope it is not that one :)

This one:

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/observers-accessory-kit

I'm a newbie to this too, and initially I looked at a Celestron set, but ended up paying a lot less on 2 Celestron Omni plossl's (9mm and 32mm) and their 2x barlow) I've just bought a secondhand Skywatcher light pollution filter for £6 from the classifieds on here. The barlow effectively gives me a further 16mm and 4.5mm lenses, although I have only used the 9mm with barlow once as the mag is stupidly high, and the eye relief zero. 

@The-MathMog You can get X-Cel LX EPs on Amazon.co.uk they are good for the price, they deliver a reasonable quality, long eye relief and decent apparent field of view (60d). It's more expensive of course but if you look at the prices, it's not expensive at all for the optical quality they deliver.  I would keep the money from the previous kit and get something superior.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=x-cel+lx

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/series/x-cel-lx-series

36 minutes ago, Daz69 said:

I'm a newbie to this too, and initially I looked at a Celestron set, but ended up paying a lot less on 2 Celestron Omni plossl's (9mm and 32mm) and their 2x barlow) I've just bought a secondhand Skywatcher light pollution filter for £6 from the classifieds on here. The barlow effectively gives me a further 16mm and 4.5mm lenses, although I have only used the 9mm with barlow once as the mag is stupidly high, and the eye relief zero. 

8 minutes ago, N3ptune said:

@The-MathMog You can get X-Cel LX EPs on Amazon.co.uk they are good for the price, they deliver a reasonable quality, long eye relief and decent apparent field of view (60d). It's more expensive of course but if you look at the prices, it's not expensive at all for the optical quality they deliver.  I would keep the money from the previous kit and get something superior.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=x-cel+lx

http://www.celestron.com/browse-shop/astronomy/visual-accessories/eyepieces/series/x-cel-lx-series

That was my first thought too to buy separately, but because of the seemingly limited marked and prices, this set seemed like a better option

I'll take a look and see if I can find those eyepieces somewhere too.

" This item does not ship to Denmark " :/

5 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

FLO will ship to Denmark if you want to buy new. Astroboot should also be an option and they tend to have Plossls, Barlows and basic filters at low prices. 

FLO as in "First Light Optics"? Cool, I'll check those sites for more options too!

Archived