NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3-2 or EQ5 for Bresser AR 102/1000?

After help with my last post I'm swinging between the Skywatcher Evostar 102 and the Bresser AR 102/1000. I am currently favouring the latter having read some reviews on here.

At the moment I will be using it for visual and I am on a fairly tight budget. I do plan to set up a small observatory in the future and will look at upgrading to something like an NEQ6 to support the extra weight or even a whole new setup altogether. I'm in no rush to do this as I want to learn the skies and enjoy observing for now.

My question is, for an interim mount for frac of this size would an EQ3-2 (Exos1) suit, or is it necessary to save a few more pennies for the EQ5 (Exos2)? I believe the Bresser is a bit lighter than the Evostar?

If I do eventually get a whole new setup then I'd be possibly looking to keep the frac and mount for portability to take to star parties, etc so this may factor in as well.

Thanks

I'd always get the best mount you can. An EQ3 is a touch wobbly for my liking. An EQ5 is a happy medium between stability and portability. 

An EQ5 will give more options later should you wish to swing a different scope and maybe try a bit of imaging. 

It's easy in any hobby to spend just that bit more but in the case of the mount you're making the right choice. 

I think a lot of people of put off astronomy because they rush and by the wrong kit and get frustrated by the results. 

You'll like the EQ5-very decent mount and no harm in looking on astrobuysell for a decent secondhand one. If it's been well looked after there isn't a great deal to go wrong with them. 

Archived