Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2P/Encke and others soon coming up

Has anybody had any luck with comet Encke yet?   It's been brightening and is about mag 10 according to  my SkyTools 3.    It should be easy to find it's location.  It's near Venus and Mars in the circlet of Pisces.    It might be a bit of a challenge now but it's estimated to be mag 7 in Feb and Mar.  I haven't had a chance to  look for it yet.  It's been cloudy here for the last month.  It's supposed to clear up somewhat next week and I'll give it a try.

Anyway here is a chart for 2P/Encke for January http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/comets/2P.pdf

Here is a link for future comets in the northern hemisphere.   http://www.aerith.net/comet/future-n.html

The prospects for viewing comets look pretty good for the next few months if these pan out.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on 2P/Encke I have not been checking comet details recently. I check out the position on the latest version of Stellarium so will be able to print out a star map to match my scope and eyepieces. Really looks nicely positioned so thanks again pjsmith_6198.

• 1 month later...

Just caught my first view of 2P/Encke around 7.30 pm. Conditions not great, a bit misty but very noticeable in a 4" at 38x. It was a very short glimpse before it headed out of view toward the mountain. It was quite bright, perhaps around 7.5 magnitude - an elongated blob. It's in the region of Venus, a few degrees from omega and heading sunward quickly.  It could be visible in small binoculars with a clear horizon.

2p-encke-chart.jpg

andrew

Friday evening, Feb. 24, at 19.30 CET, I was able to make out comet Encke with my 80/400 Vixen FH frac. At 50x, a slightly oval fuzzy disc could be seen with direct vision. Guessed magnitude about 8 to 8.5 mag; coma diameter at 4 arc min; DC about 4. With averted seeing, the false nucleus could be glimpsed. Nothing spectacular, but my first vision of Encke, as far as I can recall. Having observed 1P/Halley in 1986, now number 2P/Encke. 3P/Biela will not be possible - it dissolved 1846, leaving only some brilliant meteor showers. But, during my first observing years, I observed 6P/d' Arrest and some other periodical comets - oh, and the great ones: Bennett 1969 (that got me into astronomy); West; IRAS-Araki-Alcock with it's incredible fast movement; Hyakutake and, of course, Hale-Bopp- splendid memories!

Another bright comet is overdue....

Stephan

Archived