Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Book: Breakthrough, by Gendler and GaBany.

ollypenrice

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B017NCAODA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

This is an excellent book by two of the best amateur deep sky imagers in the world. The first half consists of a substantial history of astronomical photography, taking us from the early days in the mid nineteenth century through to the present. The discoveries made possible by the camera are set in their scientific context so, when an understanding of astro-physical or cosmological concepts is necessary, it is provided in terms clearly accessible to the lay reader. This is the first time I have encountered a history of astronomical science told consistently from an astrophotographic point of view and it proved very interesting indeed.

Forum members active in deep sky imaging will enjoy reading about their own place in the history of astrophotography because, as the book makes clear, they certainly do have one. The pioneers came from both amateur and professional camps and the emergence of the affordable and sensitive CCD camera at the end of the twentieth century opened up what the book descibes as a world of 'extraordinary images from ordinary places.' I believe that all imagers would find their hobby enriched by the background provided here.

The second half of the book is devoted, as the title suggests, to a presentation of a selection of the most striking and influential astrophotos ever taken. Most are professional images, many are Hubble, but they are supported by well written explanations of the science inherent in the pictures. The appeal of the stunning and colourful astrophoto is almost universal but many who admire the pictures for their drama and beauty are left wondering exactly what it is that they are looking at. This book will tell them.

There are a couple of factual slips of no great importance, a few typos and some occasionally clunky textual editing which it would be nice to see the publisher put right in subsequent editions. I would be very surprised if the book is not reprinted because it has so much to offer the astronomy community.

Because the pictures are so stunning it would make sense to buy the book in paper or e-book form rather than Kindle.

In a nutshell, highly recommended and flagged up as a perfect present for the astronomer in your life! I'll point this review out to the good people at FLO in case they feel it would sit well with the other books on their list.

Olly

39 minutes ago, MrsGnomus said:

Thanks Olly

Just bought the hard cover version for Steve - I think Amazon UK only have one left now but the paperback is apparently available for pre-order.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it. 

My French net account absolutely refused to give me a link to Amazon UK!

Olly

1 hour ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Thanks for that Olly, sounds good - wish I'd put it on my Christmas wish-list. Does it explain why the Flame Nebula is yellow?

(p.s. Are you in it? ;) )

Regarding the paperback version, looks like it's not available until Dec 2017 and it's also more expensive than the hardback. 

Nope, the only book in which I've appeared, apart from the APOTY from last year, is Marcel Vonk's book about string theory in Dutch. Don't tell me you haven't read it!

Olly

PS Oh, and an M31 in a childrens' book about primitive man. Draw your own conclusions!

22 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Nope, the only book in which I've appeared, apart from the APOTY from last year, is Marcel Vonk's book about string theory in Dutch. Don't tell me you haven't read it!

Olly

PS Oh, and an M31 in a childrens' book about primitive man. Draw your own conclusions!

Thanks for the heads up. Have just received that other Gendler book (lessons from the masters), and am working my way through it. But I may order Breakthrough soon.

Appearing in both a book on string theory and a children's book? You must be a multi talented man. When will we see you as a book writer? :smile:

6 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Thanks for the heads up. Have just received that other Gendler book (lessons from the masters), and am working my way through it. But I may order Breakthrough soon.

Appearing in both a book on string theory and a children's book? You must be a multi talented man. When will we see you as a book writer? :smile:

No talent, just cheap! I give 'em away...

Olly

PS I reviewed Lessons from the Masters for AN and thought it was a treasure trove of good ideas. It gets heavy thumbing in our lounge, too, I notice.

Breakthrough! ordered after leafing through it at Amazon. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Lessons from the Masters is a great book to have, once you get more familiar with ap processing. Unfortunately it's heavily skewed towards PS, though. Ah well, will just have to "translate" the goodies to PI speak. :grin:

(And I'm not going to engage in a PS/PI debate here)

3 hours ago, Racey said:

Lessons from The Masters & Breakthrough ordered Olly. Thanks for the heads up... I've told Susie they'll form part of the assessment test you set new guests on day 2... :laugh2:

The test is murder. I've never passed it...

Olly

• 3 weeks later...

I've now bought breakthrough as a birthday present for someone (conveniently, it will go to a location where I'll probably get a chance to browse it sometime) and the Magic Furnace for myself. Thanks for the recommendations.

On 17/01/2017 at 16:48, ollypenrice said:

Sorry, I only read about string theory in Mandarin and Italian, as that gives me a solid excuse for my incomprehension.

Archived