Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where do people 'mount' their laptops?

Having to move to dark site a lot, I went for a folding chair and folding table. It took me a while to find the perfect one for me: They had to be lightweight, stable, compact and comfortable (the chair)

(1) The table is made out of aluminium, light and robust, and it folds into a transport bag. It is worth noting that the legs of the table are hollow aluminium tubes, so it is easy to cut them to adjust the table for perfect sitting

(TecTake ALUMINIUM FOLDING PORTABLE CAMPING TABLE)

tableCapture.JPG.5ab42f5e8b8908259135054a936080f3.JPG

(2) The chair is rock solid and you don't sink in it like cheap chairs I tried before (I weight 85kg). You can fold it and it comes in a transport bag

(O'Camp C007 Folding Director Chair)

chairCapture.JPG.3d3330b0a4ead42e224c57c96147b52f.JPG

(3) and the laptop sits inside a iCap® MID PRO Notebook tent

icapCapture.JPG.8e22cb22abef44954be95eb4a8a92c5b.JPG

The icap is like a pop up tent, it fits in a small pocket and pops up when you take it out.

All in all the whole setup is quite portable using the shoulder straps, easy to install and to put away. The aluminium is perfect for damp conditions and the tent, being a confined space, stays warm and keeps the laptop dew free.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:34, iapa said:

That's neat in those boxes.

PS Intrigued by the flower pot - it that really just a ceramic pot filled with rocks?

Lol no - the tube goes in to the pot with a load of holes in the side and rebar at various angles. There is then a load of rebar the connects the pot to a slab; and finally the slab is in a small block of concrete. All filled with concrete of course. Very solid.

22 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Hi Alistair, that is a very tidy efficient setup and I like the idea of reducing the drag by having as few a cables dragging, just a couple of questions?

How have you mounted junction boxes to the side of the mount?

Has the weight created any imbalance on the side of the mount?

Thanks,

Regards, John

Thanks. I have been on such a quest with cabling you wouldn't believe. It for me was essential to get right, and when I did my PHD graph for an HEQ5 is now sub arc second. My set up has completely changed again though. The junction box and USB box are now all called on the actual scope. I have attached pics. It actually means I can be more mobile, - which I want to be, so that I can image from dark sites. I now have a watertight box housing the electronics along with a Minix PC and control the whole thing via Teamview. I can set up in under 5 mins, which is I think the best I can do given I don't have an obsy. The box is attached to the main column - (sorry no pic yet). I am going to have a separate box similar to the old pics for my mobile set up. (One thing I really like about this is that I can get balance just right, and the load on the mount is just right too).

Alistair

IMG_2283.JPG

IMG_2284.JPG

Archived