SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Where do people 'mount' their laptops?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the other end of 5-10m USB leads from the mount/tripod/camera to keep as far away from the kit as possible , do not put it on a tripod clip as all you will do is introduce vibrations to the mount and ruin a night's imaging.

Best bet is to have the laptop indoors at the ends of the long leads , that way you don't freeze ... :happy8:

8 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

Best bet is to have the laptop indoors at the ends of the long leads , that way you don't freeze ... :happy8:

Assuming there is an indoors! Thanks for the tip re tripod mounting. Makes perfect sense and goes to show the very basic errors a newbie line me could make!

USB hub + >5000 mAh USB power bank to power the hub.
Development board with Intel x86 CPU + Windows 10 + >10000 mAh USB power bank to power it. (http://www.up-board.org/up/ for instance + wifi adapter. This draws ~2Ah so my 15600 mAh keeps it working during the night without any concerns).
Portable 3G/4G Wireless router with its own battery.

Attach the USB hub to the mount, plug in the USB devices in it, power the USB hub, connect the hub to the board, start the wifi router and the board and the laptop, put the power banks and the board and the router in a bagpack between the mount's legs and connect the laptop over wifi via remote desktop. Keep the laptop on the car's hood until I polar align and align the mount, focus, frame, calibrate & start guiding then I can get inside the car with the laptop. If laptop battery concerns me, I can put the laptop to sleep.

Otherwise, just the USB hub + a 5m USB cable so that I can sit with the laptop inside the car.

Set up the other mount and start observing or put a shorter lens and shoot some widefield areas with the DSLR and a (manual - on/off) "intervalometer".

Lots of people at star camps use toilet tents with the laptops inside on small camping tables. Provides some weather protection and shelter from wind. Make sure you use a red film over the screen of night vision is lost, not just for you but other astronomers as well.

Derek

I've got a cheap fold up table from Argos for my laptop.

Using 5M USB cables to connect things to the telescope.

Once everything is up and running, I am planning on disappearing into a warm place, (either my house, or caravan)

Then using another Laptop to remote control everything from inside.

Most likely, I'll setup, align, focus, start guiding and get the image capture going whilst at the scope.   Then I'll switch to the remote desktop to monitor the progress from a nice warm place.

To protect the laptop outside, I have a toilet tent that will go over the whole table setup.  This way, I'll be able to leave everything in place and out of sight.

I'm also planning on making a collapsible box, to put on the table for shorter observing sessions.

I also use a fold-up table. Mine's over 3' long as I like lots of space! It doesn't have much of a rim so I glued dowelling rods with 2 flat edges - see pic. I think they're called quads. I made sure one flat side faced the centre of the table so things couldn't roll off. I'm always rushing so temporarily put EPs on the table.

I stopped using red cellophane over my laptop screen as I couldn't see it clearly enough. Once I'm set up, I don't need light vision. I keep the screen facing away from people, but a tent or a box is a great idea, especially if the site's crowded.

Alexxx

Quad.jpg

AlistairW - does that lot require a pilot's licence??!

Mind you I like the plastic box idea - I am considering taking my portable out for the first time and I hadn't considered the 'dew' aspect.  Putting it in a box seems sensible and I might have one made for the job behind me on the table!   I think I will use my folding camping table too - mine looks just like yours.

On 16 January 2017 at 10:19, moise212 said:

USB hub + >5000 mAh USB power bank to power the hub.
Development board with Intel x86 CPU + Windows 10 + >10000 mAh USB power bank to power it. (http://www.up-board.org/up/ for instance + wifi adapter. This draws ~2Ah so my 15600 mAh keeps it working during the night without any concerns).
Portable 3G/4G Wireless router with its own battery.

Attach the USB hub to the mount, plug in the USB devices in it, power the USB hub, connect the hub to the board, start the wifi router and the board and the laptop, put the power banks and the board and the router in a bagpack between the mount's legs and connect the laptop over wifi via remote desktop. Keep the laptop on the car's hood until I polar align and align the mount, focus, frame, calibrate & start guiding then ..........

.............then all I have to do is push the Big Red Button and the Saturn V lifts off as smooth as you like and a few minutes later my telescope is in low Earth orbit. Simple!  ? ?  ? ?

Just kidding ?   Looks like you have it down to a fine art.

On 16/01/2017 at 07:06, dannybgoode said:

So you're out in the field, everything's set up for a spot of imaging - where do people put their laptops. Do you take a camping table or the like out with you or is their a nice tray that can clip on to the tripod?

screen open about 45 deg, edge on the ground 

:)

It's only a MacBook air so... 

4 hours ago, Moonshed said:

.............then all I have to do is push the Big Red Button and the Saturn V lifts off as smooth as you like and a few minutes later my telescope is in low Earth orbit. Simple!  ? ?  ? ?

Just kidding ?   Looks like you have it down to a fine art.

Well, for me, it appears safer since I don't have to worry neither about the laptop's battery and neither about accidentally pulling out the USB cable. If I would have a house, things would be different, but it happens that I don't own one, neither live in one so I have to take with me all the gear in the car. I don't know how think about it, but art has countless ways of expressing. I'm afraid my setup is something more likely what an engineer would do, not an artist. Modified UPSes, soldered USB power cables, duct tape and zip ties, mount powered directly from the car's battery, etc.

It would be nice if you could have all what you need for imaging next to the mount and then to be able to get away with the laptop and don't touch anything around. Just take a look from time to time. That's what I aim for.

Other options instead of an Intel powered board are the ARM powered boards like the raspberry pi, which will also draw less power.

More on topic, +1 to avoid direct showing the laptop's screen to the other astronomers. Happened just once to me, I managed to avoid curses and swearing.

• 2 months later...
On 16/01/2017 at 17:55, AlistairW said:

Inside some plastic tubs, on a wooden table - same if the set up is on a tripod. Never had a problem with dew or frost with this set up. I have the laptop lid closed whilst imaging - ( set up option under the power settings )

image.jpeg

That's neat in those boxes.

PS Intrigued by the flower pot - it that really just a ceramic pot filled with rocks?

On 1/16/2017 at 03:17, Physopto said:

Lots of people at star camps use toilet tents with the laptops inside on small camping tables. Provides some weather protection and shelter from wind. Make sure you use a red film over the screen of night vision is lost, not just for you but other astronomers as well.

Derek

I would think a clip for the nose would be in order if imaging in a toilet tent. Oh My!  :hiding:

I have a small folding table for out in the boonies. At home I have a small glass table I've used on the patio near my mount.

But most lately I've gone Less-wire by putting a stick computer on my telescope to wirelessly network to my indoor computer.

(Lesswire is because I have battery power wires to power the wireless equipment on top.

On 1/16/2017 at 09:55, AlistairW said:

Inside some plastic tubs, on a wooden table - same if the set up is on a tripod. Never had a problem with dew or frost with this set up. I have the laptop lid closed whilst imaging - ( set up option under the power settings )

Pssst... Alistair...

Take the lens caps off. :confused5:

On 16/01/2017 at 17:55, AlistairW said:

image.jpeg

Hi Alistair, that is a very tidy efficient setup and I like the idea of reducing the drag by having as few a cables dragging, just a couple of questions?

How have you mounted junction boxes to the side of the mount?

Has the weight created any imbalance on the side of the mount?

Thanks,

Regards, John

Archived