Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Carry case options for a Skywatcher 127

I have a Skywatcher 127 (now, there's a surprise :smile:) and am  looking to purchase a soft, but hardwearing, case for it.  I'm not interested in a hard case really as I don't want anything too heavy.   Though if you have a hard case which is made to fit as it were, I'd be glad to hear about it.  Ideally it will have room for the OTA WITH a visual back, and also a 1.25 diagonal if possible. (the OTA plus 1.25 back and diagonal in place is 42cm) I believe the soft case supplied with the OTA when bought on it's own will not accommodate a visual back.  A side pouch or two to accommodate a 6x30 finder and other bits and bobs would also be very desirable.  Finally, I am looking for one with a shoulder strap if possible.

If you are using something that fits the bill I'll most appreciate hearing about it and where to buy it.   I did find a post with the same request (though it was over five years ago!) and non of the links that supplied by people who suggested some case or other would work I'm afraid.

Looking forward to receiving lots of suggestions, with thank, Paul  :lol:

People have suggested to me things like cricket bags, large sports bags etc as they tend to be big enough to hold OTA's and sometimes the mounts too... Maybe take a look at a sports shop :p I have seen "proper" 'scope cases and they tend to cost a fortune in comparison! Hope this helps somewhat :p (You would probably have to add additional padding though)

Hi Paul,

I use one of those rigid leather flight cases for mine. OTA fits in the bottom with a little bubble wrap then I can get the ALT-AZ head, diagonal, RDF, handset... In fact everything else but the tripod into the bag too. Ideal.

36 minutes ago, Woolnut said:

People have suggested to me things like cricket bags, large sports bags etc as they tend to be big enough to hold OTA's and sometimes the mounts too... Maybe take a look at a sports shop :p I have seen "proper" 'scope cases and they tend to cost a fortune in comparison! Hope this helps somewhat :p (You would probably have to add additional padding though)

Many thanks Woolnut.  I have been to several shops looking at sports bags, but couldn't find one suitable.  Also quite a few charity shops.  I see plenty round about the right size, but they tend to have restricted openings in the top - that is narrower and shorter than the full length.  I've never been able to find one where there is a clear aperture in the top with a large flap which just comes right over from the back and fastens to the front. (Similar to bags by SW and Celestron)

I agree that 'named' ones tend to be very expensive.  I just want one that does the job.  Also agree with your comment on padding, I took a C5 to Crete once for three weeks in a sports bag and wrapped in a towel.

Many thanks again.

35 minutes ago, AstroGnome said:

Hi Paul,

I use one of those rigid leather flight cases for mine. OTA fits in the bottom with a little bubble wrap then I can get the ALT-AZ head, diagonal, RDF, handset... In fact everything else but the tripod into the bag too. Ideal.

Many thanks AstroGnome.  That's a good idea, I hadn't thought about a flight bag.  I may have more luck with that than I've had with sports bags and the like, I'll do a search and see what I can come up with.  Thanks again.

That's a well accommodated kit Aikidoamigo.  That looks superb for carrying all the kit it one go, and well protected too.  I need to carry the tube separate from the mount as I use one of four mounts!  I sometimes mount it in the run-off observatory on a rather heavy duty fork and also use it on three grab and go mounts depending on how little I want to carry and how quick I need to be observing.  These comprise of a Vixen Porta Mount, a SW AZ4 and a Manfrotto 393 gimbal type mount (essentially a fork mount for big telephoto lenses) on a Vanguard tripod.

Here's a pic of the fork mount and 127 in the observatory.

P1050052a.jpg    P1050065a.jpg   P1050070a.jpg

Many thanks for your comments and photo.

Wow that looks really cool; I hope my skills can get up to that level one day!

How do you like the scope... It has great reviews but my usage and experience is very limited so far.

we bought this large case so as to hold everything, heavy but I can still carry one handed like a suitcase and it does have wheels / pull along handle for ease.

Im sure you've seen the Peli website and I would certainly recommend one of their much smaller case because they are dust proof.

happy hunting!

Thanks again Aikodooamigo.  I'm not sure what skills you mean, but if you think I'm capable of making a fork mount like that, you couldn't be more wrong unfortunately :smile:.  It's a heavy duty mount called the Helix Hercules.  They were made in the USA and were made up to at least 12 inches between the forks, mine is eight inches.  As you could see from the link below, they were made for big refractors, long reflectors and big binoculars etc.

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=876083

The optics in the scope are great in my view, I've used a few of the 127s, and smaller and larger  Maks.  All the 127s I've used have been excellent.  I use it as a medium aperture very portable Lunar and planetary scope for which it is well suited. The optics are contrasty and sharp when the seeing plays ball.   Maks are also good for double stars.  I'd call the optics 'refractor like', but not as good as top end refractors of course - and a good refractor should be more contrasty and sharper.  They are also good deep sky instruments, but can be limited in larger sizes because of the long focal lengths - preventing viewing of very extended objects.  An advantage of a 127 over bigger Maks of course is that they don't take so long to cool down if you keep them indoors.  The largest SW Mak could keep you waiting two or three hours to perform at it's best if you take it out of your centrally heated house into the cold.

I'm afraid a peli case would be overkill for me, good as they are, though if I travelled long distances on poor roads to use it I might think again.   Pelican cases are rather pricey for me, though there are a few respectable clones about, but they tend to be in smaller sizes.

I've just found a bag on ebay which may be suitable.  Has anyone used one like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soft-carry-case-for-telescopes-tripod-and-accessories-46cm-L-x20cm-W-x16cm-H-/400907677261?hash=item5d57f5ae4d:g:WKcAAOSwrklVOWXD

I've bought other bits from the supplier in the past and have always been pleased with what they supplied.

Regards, Paul

Paul,

i had a Celestron Nexstar C5 scope, the OTA is a similar size. Managed to get a LowePro backpack at an open box discounted price. Protected the scope and used it as a storage bag whilst indoors. Never regretted the purchase, and had the added advantage of leaving my hands free!

is the link to the new item http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lowepro-flipside-400-aw-backpack-pine-green/p1028115

Cheers,

Chris

As I've just posted in another thread, if you are any good at woodworking  you can make a case for almost any 'scope. The one for my 127 Mak cost me about £20-30, including the cost of hinges, clips and leather handle. I used lagging meant for water pipes cut in half lengthwise for padding. Sorted :)

John

16 hours ago, Cjg said:

Paul,

i had a Celestron Nexstar C5 scope, the OTA is a similar size. Managed to get a LowePro backpack at an open box discounted price. Protected the scope and used it as a storage bag whilst indoors. Never regretted the purchase, and had the added advantage of leaving my hands free!

is the link to the new item http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lowepro-flipside-400-aw-backpack-pine-green/p1028115

Cheers,

Chris

Many thanks Chris, but I'm afraid its too short for the scope with the visual back and diagonal, which is 42cm. 

OOPS SORRY CHRIS,  I sent this reply to what someone else had suggested!!  Please accept my apology, I've added the correct response I should have sent to your below.

7 hours ago, jabeoo1 said:

I use a Geoptik bag for my 4" Refractor.  The equivalent for your Mak is here, I have found them to be good quality, no regrets here.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quilt-Bag-f-Skywatcher-Mak-127-Celestron-C-5-small-Telescope-Tele-Lens-30B034-/371472491982?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Many thanks jabeoo1.  Alas this bag is not quite deep enough for the 127, and is almost exactly right for the width.  I'm glad you mentioned it though.  I have a bigger  Geoptik bag that came with a pre-used scope I bought eons ago.  I'll have to sort it out and put it up for sale, with any luck it'll cover the cost of a suitable bag for the Mak!  :smile:

16 hours ago, Cjg said:

Paul,

Cheers,

Chris

Many thanks Chris.  I actually have a Lowepro backpack.  It's probably a bit to large and bulky for my needs.  However, just in case I'll locate it and have a look, you never know.  Many thanks for the suggestion.  Best regards, Paul

3 hours ago, BritAngler said:

As I've just posted in another thread, if you are any good at woodworking  you can make a case for almost any 'scope. The one for my 127 Mak cost me about £20-30, including the cost of hinges, clips and leather handle. I used lagging meant for water pipes cut in half lengthwise for padding. Sorted :)

John

Many thanks for the suggestion John.  I'm afraid I'm useless at woodworking, my wife would split her sides laughing if I showed her your post!  :grin:

Archived