Multiple filter wheel.

I think i placed my post in the right place.I had a multiple filter wheel for xmas, i  like to try it out tonight but not sure how to fit it to a reflector.Do anyone know of a web page to help me along Thanks.Mark

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you're trying to achieve here, the filters in a filter wheel won't help your images.

No point using RGB filters on a DSLR and if you want to use narrow band then the only useful one may be HA and you can but a clip in one.

Dave

Hi Dave' I'm still trying to learn trying to take captures' of the night sky.I thought by using RGB filters' in a filter wheel while capturing the night sky would help on the object.I do have 1.25 cls and Olll filter as well for the filter wheel.Mark

Never tried it but as the DSLR has RGB filter built in, what's known as a Bayer matrix, I don't think you'll achieve anything extra.

You can split the RAW image into separate RGB channels in GIMP to play with them.

Dave

I've done narrow band imaging with a DSLR in the past.  Best if the red cut filter is removed from the camera sensor (a DIY job if you're adept with your fingers and have plenty of patience) or get an "astro modded" camera.  If you have the funds, a proper mono astro camera is a lot better for NB but that's getting into "big money"!!

Hi Dave' I have never tried GIMP but i do have Photoshop CS6 which i do use on Raw pictures' on different things.I could use the CLS filter and a Olll filter at different time and try the captures' out on Photoshop CS6 and see how they turn out cross fingers.

Also 1.25" filters on a DSLR that far from the sensor are going to cause massive issues with vignetting....the filters will be at least 65mm from the imaging plane, and with a DSLR you can't get then any closer than around 55mm away, you would be much better off with a clip in style CLS filter to stop light pollution, forget the filter wheel altogether..... :)

Just now, Taff said:

Hi Dave' I have never tried GIMP but i do have Photoshop CS6 which i do use on Raw pictures' on different things.I could use the CLS filter and a Olll filter at different time and try the captures' out on Photoshop CS6 and see how they turn out cross fingers.

Yes you can do the same thing in PS, you'll need a lot of long subs to capture O111 with a DSLR.

Dave

Archived