NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT Mak OTA Weight

These Maksutov's tend to be deceptively heavier than their compact sizes tend to make them appear. This is due to the fact that the front corrector-plate is quite thick and heavy, coupled with their primary-mirror behind it. These telescopes were originally used in 1941-2 as scopes on Soviet battle-tanks against the German Panzers. That's one tough piece of glass!

Enjoy -

Dave

5 hours ago, DRT said:

Can someone please tell me the weight of one of these OTAs?

The online specs only seem to quote the weight of the entire set-up.

Thanks

I searched on other 127mm Maks and the OTA weights were quoted as 3kg, 3.4kg, 8.6 pounds, and 5kg.  That should give you some idea of the OTA weight.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Why do you need the exact weight?

I have a Giro GR-2 Mini and a Tele Vue tripod that I want to use to mount a travel set-up. The maximum load of the mount is 4kg per side so I need to know the weight of the OTA so that I can add on the weight of a finder, diagonal and eyepiece to see if it comes under the recommended weight. If it  does I might buy one. If it doesn't I won't.

The reason for asking here is that none of the specs I can find online state the weight of the OTA and also because it is a good place to find an accurate answer :smile:

2 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Will you be buying new Derek, they are nice scopes, the view can be very ED like with maks, but they do need a good cool down

I'm in two minds, Jules. I have the option of a Celestron SLT version from ABS or dobbie's SW one that is currently advertised here, both at a great price, but I am also tempted by a new C5. Decisions, decisions :rolleyes2:

I have a sneaky feeling the one dobbie is selling was mine for a while, i bought it new from astroboot and it had the scratch on it but might be wrong i have heard the C5 to be pretty good, i was tempted with the xlt omni version a few years back

I'm also tempted by the OMNI version but not sure whether or not there is any difference other than (name of) the coatings and the blue paint. The spec on some sites mentions that it has "diffraction limited optics" but isn't that the same of all of these scopes?

18 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes i would say "diffraction limited" is pretty standard, the omni is pretty good value with the mount included

That's what I thought - £399 for the XLT OTA or £485 for the OMNI with a CG4 mount and tripod - £86 for the mount and tripod seems like very good value :smile:

Any decision Derek, interested in what you end up with, the cheapest option is going to be the used 127 Maksutov, having got the 120ED i think i need a new travel scope, i would not be happy me and our lass going to a campsite (non star party) and leaving the ED sitting in a tent

Archived