Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon from 22-12-16 - remind me why i wanted to do this?

Fozzie

I've finally managed to sit down and try to get something out of the data I collected at half 3 yesterday morning.  The sky's were clear with the moon and Jupiter putting on a great show, I gave the scope a good 30mins cool down and went about finding the right camera settings (so I thought) and a nice crisp focus with the 102mm F11, which shouldn't have been too difficult (or so I thought).. It turns out my thinking was way off, however I only discovered this after nearly 2000 frames, an hour of being out side and a day at work..

can you see where this is going? Lol? :homework:

I did a quick test run from the first lot of subs, ISO100 1/40 about 15 in the stack and it came out not too shabby, leaving me in a good mood that I had loads of great data to get my teeth into after work.. see test below..

moon sample.jpg

It was after work and between going to play football that things started to go south rapidly.. :BangHead:

I was trying for a full disk then trying for a mosaic of top, middle and bottom (being technical) I also tried for a extreme close up without a driven mount...... which was fun and didn't last long either before I gave it up!!

I'm going for a reprocess tonight but even the original PiPP files look far worse than the CR2 Raw data files I have so I must have got something wrong here... so i'll start again.

So on to the mosaic which was shot with a 2x telextender and diagonal in the OP.  Again I checked focus and exposure was good, it all appeared so... and off we went for a 1000 frames of top, middle bottom.. same issues but a bit better than the previous.  I've mentioned seeing "as jumpy as a box of frogs", may be this is whats hurt me here... in visual mode I was struggling for table image at 110x.. after a 2 hour cool down..

Anyway here is the mosaic, full of defects in all its glory but it's my first time and really the best I can do with the data.. at the moment anyways :dark1:

Completed Stitch.jpg

If i'm honest this imaging run one may have won the battle but it's only spurring me on further to get better and better results.. I'll win the war obviously with the good help of the fine people on SGL!

In hind sight the first test image is not too bad, soft on the focus yes, a little over processed yes.. but as my third attempt.. i'm ok with it.. :hello2:

For even more jokes, here's a close up.. Why not..

Close up.png

Any ways a merry Christmas too you all, hope to be posting again soon.. clear sky's and a happy new year... i'm off for a drink!

Oh and all advice, criticism, and fun poking is more than welcome, as long as there is a good side of advice to go with it..  :evil6:

Ta

Fozzie

Many thanks gents and seasons greetings to you and yours... 

Dave quite right it'd be no fun if if was perfect everytime.. 

Charl, many thanks for advice this year.. hope you have a great festive period and all the best for 2017.. clear sky's and great seeing!

Ta

Fozzie

Archived