NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Uranus and Neptune.

alan potts

I think the eyepiece / exit pupil and filter are all part of the story of seeing the horsey but a truly dark transparent sky is the main ingredient that is needed. I seem to get a couple of those annually at present :rolleyes2:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel the fact it is overhead helps as I think I am right in saying Olly reported some time back he has seen it from his site with his 20 inch there. I believe there are also site members that have seen it from the UK as the thing that got me going on it in the first place was a sort of challenge as to what is the smallest scope that would see it is. I know I spent over a month looking at it every night I could and that in Summer is a good few nights. I believe I had the 8mm Ethos in the scope, though I also had the Delos then so I may be wrong but it was 8mm for sure, funny enough it was also 8mm in the Dob last time. I find here I do get skys where I can see right down to the horizon from time to time and I love that when I can see all of Scorpius.

Alan

It does seem that the central star is more reliant on seeing than sky darkness.

Not sure we have had the best seeing at some of the sites we have used to be fair. The skies have been extremely dark but haven't always had good steady seeing. This could well be the cause of  our lack of success. It seems that just because a site will allow the HH to be seen it doesn't necessarily follow that the central star will be next. Annoying as it is...

To be honest, I myself have kinda lost a bit of interest in seeing it anyway. I don't really want to spend my precious dark sky observing time searching for a star........... There are far too many galaxies to be observed to worry about one poxy annoying little star :D:D 

Have fun hunting though guys and to Alan and others in their quest for the HH :) 

42 minutes ago, swamp thing said:

It does seem that the central star is more reliant on seeing than sky darkness.

Not sure we have had the best seeing at some of the sites we have used to be fair. The skies have been extremely dark but haven't always had good steady seeing. This could well be the cause of  our lack of success. It seems that just because a site will allow the HH to be seen it doesn't necessarily follow that the central star will be next. Annoying as it is...

To be honest, I myself have kinda lost a bit of interest in seeing it anyway. I don't really want to spend my precious dark sky observing time searching for a star........... There are far too many galaxies to be observed to worry about one poxy annoying little star :D:D 

Have fun hunting though guys and to Alan and others in their quest for the HH :) 

+1...and that urano book has just made the hunting for galaxies more important than ever for me...

I don't know about quest for the Horses Head it is becoming a bit more like the Holy Grail. Is that not what makes astronomy so wonderful, chalenges everywhere no matter what size scope you have and no matter what level of experience you have:hello2:. The little yellow thing is singing clap hands here come horsey.

Alan

Archived