Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Going to the dark side ZWO ASI1600

souls33k3r

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gina said:

That is exactly what I have :)  Note that 1.25" filters work fine with the ASI1600MM.  Slight but correctable vignetting with the Atik EFW2 - negligible with the ZWO EFW mini :)  Should be the same with the new 8 position ZWO EFW.

When can we say that vigneting is an issue with the ZWO 1,25" and ZWO filerwheel? The company says down F5...

I would be using a FSQ85, sometimes with it's reducer. But I think it's too much to pay for the 36mm... because I plan to go for the Astrodon's 5nm for NB. They are half the price if I go for the 1,25".

Astrocatinfo: I know you asked about the zwo fitters, I think I've read it on CN somewhere that they might actually be the Optolong filters. Optolong have been producing great results

well, 1.25" sounds like a winner but why take the risk? Some say they're absolutely fine with scopes down to even f/2.8 but I do not want to end up in a situation where I feel like if only I had spent a little bit more on the bigger filters. At least the bigger filters will cover the next gen CCDs as well whatever those might be. (please do correct me if I'm not thinking along the right lines here)

i could actually go for the 31mm filters and still play on the safe side but the only other option to the zwo and astrodon 31mm filters are Astronomik ... People swear by those filters too but I haven't seen any results produced by those for at least my liking. I guess I shouldn't blame the filters but what people can produce using them.

As for the astrodon filters, that's a totally different story. They're just too expensive if I'm being super honest. 3nm will be a beast to tame especially for someone who is just stepping in to this game. I must admit, as much as I love seeing astrodon filter results, they are just too expensive for me to justify the cost right now even though we all know "filters are for life" which for me are most definitely going to be.

Im swinging back and forth between the size of the filters and the brand ... Either go full ZWO in broadband and narrow band (1.25" or 31mm) or go ZWO broadband and Astronomik narrow band (31mm) or Baader broadband and narrowband (36mm) ... These will all live in the ZWO filter wheel 

22 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Astrocatinfo: I know you asked about the zwo fitters, I think I've read it on CN somewhere that they might actually be the Optolong filters. Optolong have been producing great results

well, 1.25" sounds like a winner but why take the risk? Some say they're absolutely fine with scopes down to even f/2.8 but I do not want to end up in a situation where I feel like if only I had spent a little bit more on the bigger filters. At least the bigger filters will cover the next gen CCDs as well whatever those might be. (please do correct me if I'm not thinking along the right lines here)

i could actually go for the 31mm filters and still play on the safe side but the only other option to the zwo and astrodon 31mm filters are Astronomik ... People swear by those filters too but I haven't seen any results produced by those for at least my liking. I guess I shouldn't blame the filters but what people can produce using them.

As for the astrodon filters, that's a totally different story. They're just too expensive if I'm being super honest. 3nm will be a beast to tame especially for someone who is just stepping in to this game. I must admit, as much as I love seeing astrodon filter results, they are just too expensive for me to justify the cost right now even though we all know "filters are for life" which for me are most definitely going to be.

Im swinging back and forth between the size of the filters and the brand ... Either go full ZWO in broadband and narrow band (1.25" or 31mm) or go ZWO broadband and Astronomik narrow band (31mm) or Baader broadband and narrowband (36mm) ... These will all live in the ZWO filter wheel 

If you go for the 36mm Baader filters now, it will cover an future camera upgrades, if you can afford the extra that is, if you go for 31mm they are barely bigger than 1.25" in my opinion it's not worth the difference in price, it's Christmas, push the boat out and go for full set of 36mm Baader, and then you can forget about filters for the foreseeable future.... :)

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

Lol, that takes Optolong firmly out of the equation then ... Even so, results are there on astrobin as an example and they're pretty solid.

I also read somewhere that the ZWO filters are re branded Optolong.... !

3 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Pushing the boat I am indeed sir lol ... The 36mm set from Baader is very tempting and affordable. The only issue is, the ZWO filter wheel that can take in the 36mm filters is only 7 POS ... The filter set is 8, not sure what to do with that extra filter :(

Well what I do is have the 7 in the wheel, LRGB OII, Ha, SIII, then I have my LP filter on the nosepiece of the FW.. so all filters shoot through it, it is not needed on all filters, but I leave it on, it make no difference really.

which is your extra filter ?

5 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Lol, that takes Optolong firmly out of the equation then ... Even so, results are there on astrobin as an example and they're pretty solid.

I'm sure there are but you don't know what the results would have looked like using alternative filters. Astronomic ran a fairly extensive set of tests, it's not a knee-jerk reaction to a lower priced competitor.

ChrisH

1 minute ago, SkyBound said:

I also read somewhere that the ZWO filters are re branded Optolong.... !

Not sure if I can/should post a link here where I'm reading this but any way, that's what we have started to hear. The only thing is, ZWO narrowband filters are all 7nm, Optolong aren't all 7nm in narrowband ... The ZWO LRGB bandpass curve do look similar to the Astrodon I series filters

3 minutes ago, SkyBound said:

Well what I do is have the 7 in the wheel, LRGB OII, Ha, SIII, then I have my LP filter on the nosepiece of the FW.. so all filters shoot through it, it is not needed on all filters, but I leave it on, it make no difference really.

which is your extra filter ?

That would be the C filter but like I said no space in the efw unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

I'm sure there are but you don't know what the results would have looked like using alternative filters. Astronomic ran a fairly extensive set of tests, it's not a knee-jerk reaction to a lower priced competitor.

ChrisH

I agree

1 minute ago, souls33k3r said:

That's why I'm counting it as the extra filter lol 

Sorry I am confused....

you only need a 7 position filter wheel, so I don't see the problem, LRGB and 3 narrowband filters, and put a LP filter if you use one on the FW nosepiece...simples... :)

Sorry I guess i wasn't clear. The Baader set includes LRGBC and Narrowband filters so that makes a total of 8 filters. This set comes as a package setup by one of the vendors which is very cost effective if I were to buy them separate (around £60/£70 cheaper as a package).

saying all that, I've just seen the results from the astrodon nb filters and compared them with the Baader, now I'm sad :(

So what was the issue with the ZWO wheel only having 7 positions, that you mentioned earlier, as you don't need the C filter so 7 position is enough, that what I was trying to answer....you made the point that 7 was not enough.... :) and it is !!

There was once a guy from my neighbor countries that showed some tests with the Baader filters and the Optolong ones. Could paste the link, but it's not working anymore. The Baader filters seemed to have reflections on one channel (either B or O3, I don't remember which). Also, my local astro provider said that he and also his main provider would recommend the Optolong filters even though they cost about the same as the Baader's. And Optolong state that theirs O3 and S2 filters are 6.5nm. http://optolong.com/en/products/astronomy-filters/bandpass-photo-filter

By no means should you get the Optolong filters just because what I said, but you should probably try to compare some results and decide after. Ah and this can be a self justifications why I bought the Optolong Ha and still waiting for the O3 and S2 (they were not in stock at that moment).

Regards,

Alex

I have never used more than 7 filters even in the 9 position Atik EFW2 - can see no reason to. 

I recall a mention above that there is some difficulty using 3nm filters but what?  Narrower filters just block out more white light such as the moon and stars and give better result that I've found easier to process - not harder.  They still let plenty of star light through for focussing using a few seconds imaging time.  I would be interested to hear what problems very narrow filters produce for some people.

I see the other point about SII and NII which I already knew about but does give me food for thought.

Archived