NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Modifying a DLSR

robindurant

Hello Robin,

it is true that the camera mod makes all of the photographs taken will it redder but this is because of the way in which the IR filter over the chip and the red filter work. When the filter is removed the chip gets much more red light through and so images become redder however the same amount of blue and green are seen. It is possible to adjust the colour balance to correct for this but i don't know how easy it is or if it needs ajusting for different shoots i.e. if bright outside shots need a different colour balance to inside shots.

As for the astronomy benifits it is a improvement over the normal camera as people with them will tell you however it will not reduce the amount of light pollution which your camera picks up or greatly improve the responce over the full range of colours.

All in i think that it is worth the time and money to mod it but you should expect to spend more time adjusting photographs then you do at present.

can't think of any web site address off hand bu there are a few

ally

I believe that Astronomik will be supplying a IR/UV clip in filter that will allow the normal colour balance to be restored for day time use and a new type of CLS filter with a IR/UV block that will allow Ha light through for Astro use (and other types of filters such as Ha and OIII). The existing Canon UV/IR filter will need to be replaced with a clear glass one instead of the usual replacement filter.

Regards

Kevin

I think that HUTECH (or a name similar) provide a screw in filter to put onto a lense to bring the WB back to "normal".

Expensive though I think.

Ant

The only filter that I'm aware that restores the normal WB is the XNite CC158 filter http://www.maxmax.com/aXNite58mmFilters.asp

Be aware tho the postage is extortionate and is more than the cost of the filter. Astromik are developing an equivalent and should be on the market soon.

No need for expensive filters such as the XNite CC1.

A simple custom white balance setup on the DSLR in a few minutes will restore colour balance to "normal".

Easy peasy.

Yes but you cannot use custom white balance in full auto mode. A clip filter will be less expensive than a front filter anyway.

Regards

Kevin

A simple custom white balance setup on the DSLR in a few minutes will restore colour balance to "normal".

Easy peasy.

Yes but you cannot use custom white balance in full auto mode. A clip filter will be less expensive than a front filter anyway.

Regards

Kevin

Astronomiks prices aren't exactly cheap, £60 up to over £100 for most of their clip filters.

Personally i'd rather use photo editing s/w to restore colour balance if its that important.

Easy peasy.

Regards

Kevin

Astronomiks prices aren't exactly cheap, £60 up to over £100 for most of their clip filters.

Personally i'd rather use photo editing s/w to restore colour balance if its that important.

A lot cheaper than £200 pound plus for a each different size apeture lens that you have

Regards

Kevin

Thanks for you info chaps. I ave decided to mod the 350d as I don't use the it for normal photography now. I bought a small Canon IXUS 70 a few months ago to go on my hols and it does everything I need and more 7.1 mega pixals, So the 350d is redundant

Archived