Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-155 in HaSHO

Rodd

Took another stab at Sh2-155.  I tried not to overprocess the image to death.

Televue np101is with 0.8x reducer (F4.3)

SBIG STT 8300 with self guided filter wheel and 3nm Astrodon filters

22 hours of exposure in 30 minute subs

First image is without a Magenta Star Halo removal script and 2nd image is with the script.  It seems to me that only 2 stars have the halo but after the script, many stars are a bit bigger.  Not sure if the script is worth it for this image.  What do you think?

HaSHO-1.jpg

HaSHO-1a.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a blend with green removed but not at the expense of a red/magenta cast.  Seems to be the end of the line for this iteration.  I think its closest to a visual pallet( one of my goals).  I know it seems the same as #1 above--but I think there are subtle differences (better noise control for one), and deeper core

Blend&HT.jpg

Actually--core needed a little brightness boost (very little).  Hard to tell here--on my screen in PI I see a difference.  I can never tell what the image will look like until I post (one of the reasons for my multitudinous posts)

Blend&HTa.jpg

13 minutes ago, Maximidius said:

Man, i'm so spoilt for choice im not sure which is the best. It's gonna take some perusing before i can give a definitive answer. :icon_scratch:......hmmm maybe second from last or the one before , but i like the last one too????? bxxxxdy tough!.... ???? 

Thanks and I know what you mean--i'm in the same boat--that's why there are so many!!!  I think its one of the blends (Master Blend) on some screens and Master Blend-Hist on other screens.  Its hard when all monitors are not the same.

Can you boost the contrast a fraction in the last image or reduce the brightness a touch? They all look superb on my ipnone, but I think just a touch more contrast in the last one...maybe??? TBH .. I think they are all superb and I'm clutching at straws lol. But seeing as we are on a role let's see what it does. :) 

Hi Rodd.

Great image, i know how hard that target is...

The third image from the top is my favourite. The others have too much magenta touch to it in my opinion.

The detail and crispness is stunning, i wasn't able to reach that level at all with my attempt despite even having more exposure time! Hats off! :)

Kind regards, Graem

9 hours ago, Maximidius said:

Can you boost the contrast a fraction in the last image or reduce the brightness a touch? They all look superb on my ipnone, but I think just a touch more contrast in the last one...maybe??? TBH .. I think they are all superb and I'm clutching at straws lol. But seeing as we are on a role let's see what it does. :) 

Thanks Maximidius.  To tell the truth, the only difference between the last one and the second to last one is a small boost of brightness.  I suppose I could drop the brightness by a fraction of what I increased it by.  I reached a point where I was generating all these versions and blends that were all slightly different, but not necessarily "better".  I will see what I can do.  I really appreciate your input.

4 hours ago, graemlourens said:

Hi Rodd.

Great image, i know how hard that target is...

The third image from the top is my favourite. The others have too much magenta touch to it in my opinion.

The detail and crispness is stunning, i wasn't able to reach that level at all with my attempt despite even having more exposure time! Hats off! :)

Kind regards, Graem

Thanks Graem.  I find the core not so hard, but the outer areas are another story due to noise, virtually no background, and lots of stars.  Color for me is tough for some reason too.  I am looking forward to closing in on the core with a longer focal length.  The image you like best was my favorite too--except for the green.  Trying to remove the green without destroying the image is what spawned the subsequent versions.  I find the images look great at 1:1 but when you zoom in, that's where they break down.  In some images, when you zoom, you make the image bigger and new details emerge--dust still looks like dust, and color remains smooth.  Maybe it has to do with pixel scale (widefield 2.58"/P.).  Thanks for the input.

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Maximidius.  To tell the truth, the only difference between the last one and the second to last one is a small boost of brightness.  I suppose I could drop the brightness by a fraction of what I increased it by.  I reached a point where I was generating all these versions and blends that were all slightly different, but not necessarily "better".  I will see what I can do.  I really appreciate your input.

I'm sorry i can't offer more in the way of help. I hope you don't mind, but i had a little play with your image in PS. I never get the opportunity to play with data this good, i really wish i had the equipment to produce images like this. If you don't mind, is it okay to post the image? The changes are minimal though and to be honest, i would really struggle to find a happy balance with it. I can now fully appreciate your dilemma though :) 

1 hour ago, Maximidius said:

I'm sorry i can't offer more in the way of help. I hope you don't mind, but i had a little play with your image in PS. I never get the opportunity to play with data this good, i really wish i had the equipment to produce images like this. If you don't mind, is it okay to post the image? The changes are minimal though and to be honest, i would really struggle to find a happy balance with it. I can now fully appreciate your dilemma though :) 

By all means Maximidius--post away.  I have discovered that my browser viewer--I think its Quick Time viewer--or some other Windows based viewer, as adjustment controls.  When I hit this image with Auto Adjust--it looks pretty good (brightens a bit).  But I am not sure how I feel about using that.  is that cheating:homework:?  Not sure.  I do like this image though--much better than my initial attempts with the data.  It still breaks down upon zoom though.  I guess that's the question....should I process for general viewing, or should I process for pixel peeping?  The best images are good for both.

Here is a new version that I think has better outer regions--cleaner, stars better--especially in the upper half of the image.  Core is different--not sure any better or worse--I am not concentrating on pallet, but removing noise at this point.

SHO-New-b.jpg

This is it--its a 60-40 blend of the last one above, and the second to last one from before.  I liked the second to last one from before--but the upper half of the image was hazy.  The last one above is much sharper--but too much so.  So--the blend.  The best of both worlds. I do like the pallet.   Until next time...

2a-and-Master Blend.jpg

10 hours ago, Maximidius said:

Phew what a run! I think you've nailed the final version. Well done, Rod! 

Well--I think the image could use a drop in brightness.  A couple of examples--as usual I do not know which pallet I like more.

2a-and-Master Blend-hist.jpg

2a-and-Master Blend-hist2.jpg

2a-and-Master Blend-hist2aa.jpg

Archived