NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sh2-155 in HaSHO

Rodd

Then I said--why the blend if noise is hidden by lowering brightness.  So--here is teh newest image (the one I used 60% of in blend) with dropped histogram.  I could drop it some more--my processing monitor shows images on the DARK side--so I think I have discovered one of my problems.  This image is starting to show some depth in the clouds.  

SHO-new-c2a-Newhista.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next image will be a reprocess with a low brightness and much less noise control--if the noise is hidden by a dark histogram, maybe NR can be lowered and the image will come to life.  We'll see.  At 1:1 this is good for me.......but not enlarged, so back to the drawing board. 

Just as I thought--a reprocess with noise control linked to the histogram.  This image is sharper, more balanced )histogram is balanced), and much less noise control.  The image holds up quite well to full image with the "+" key hit-unlike my others.  NOW I am finally getting somewhere.  Could be too bright--Yahoo is down so I can't send it to my other monitor. 

HaSHO-1ahist.jpg

Won't stop until I get it right.  Looking for a balanced histogram, better definition in core without posterization, reduction of noise without the smear of noise reduction, cleaner stars, more depth in outer clouds.  Also--I am looking for the image to stand up to pixel peeping (at least within reason).

HaSHO-1ahist-final-3.jpg

Here it is--the final version--its teh one above with a slight decrease in brightness (I had gone too far).  I really am calling in quits now.  this is teh best I can do at this time.  Still think there is too much noise reduction, but to change that I would need to start again, and I just don't have it in me.

HaSHO-1ahist-final-4 (1).jpg

Well--This really  is the last one if anyone actually cares.  A little history--I bumped up the core, then the clouds ever so slightly--but forgot to protect the stars.  So here is the very final version with a bumped up core (just a tad), a little brighter clouds, and reduced small stars .  Looks good on both my monitors so I guess I am done.

HaSHO-1ahist-final-4b.jpg

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

Thank goodness for that Rodd, admire you're perseverance, if it was me the men in white coats would have been round to take me away long before now.

Is it cloudy in CT ? :grin:

Dave :icon_santa: 

I escaped from the men in white 2 days ago!   Actually last night was clear (and very cold) but there was a very bright Moon (88% I think), and it was blowin pretty hard--high wind advisory.    Tonight its supposed to snow and the next week or so looks dismal.  

The monitor issue has me confused.  My 4K screen and my not top end LCD desktop depict images VERY differently.  The 4K screen is VERY dark, while the desktop is bright.  Not sure what I should process for.    

3 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Been looking at getting a new laptop for processing with 4K screen and claiming to be optimised for Adobe RGB.

Probably won't help my processing but one less thing to blame :grin:

Dave :icon_santa:

I tell you the 4K screen is amazing--details are so clear.  images do look better, no question.  The only problem I am having is the brightness issue.  The difference between the 2 screens with this image is striking.  I would have to save the image, email it to myself, then open up on my desktop so I could see if I was headed in the right direction.  It could be a big reason why I was frustrated for so long--I would post images that looked great on my screen only to find out they were hurting peoples eyes!  

1 hour ago, Davey-T said:

Been looking at getting a new laptop for processing with 4K screen and claiming to be optimised for Adobe RGB.

Probably won't help my processing but one less thing to blame :grin:

Just to give you an idea--the following image looks perfect on my 4K screen--but on my other monitor, it is way bright.

For Screen.jpg

5 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I have a job retaining one image in my head while scrolling up and down, will have to dig out another laptop to compare images.

Actually--this is not so bad--dropped the core--but kept the brightness.  The details in the clouds are amazing.  May be to bright for some screens.  makes an awesome background on my laptop though!

For Screen-2.jpg

1 minute ago, Davey-T said:

But then I find lightening / brightening grey clouds turns them a bit green and lightening / brightening white clouds turns them pink so  I  generally give up long before this point :grin:

Dave

I am using the histogram--moving all of it one way or the pother--so balance stays the same.  When I use Curves the same thing happens--so I use the hist.

In case anyone is waiting with baited breath, I have decided that this image is the closest to a visual pallet, which is my goal with NB.  Not perfect--but it is fairly close in the outer clouds.  No it is not RGB--But I think it is reminiscent.

HaSHO-1ahist-final-4 (1).jpg

Archived