Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What is the North star for other planets?

I have been playing around on Stellarium's ability to look at what the sky looks like on a certain planet and I was curious to find out what is the pole star on each of them, ( I am judging these by their distance to the North Celestial pole and naked eye visibility. )

On Mercury the polestar is Delta Draconis. ( Magnitude +4.8 ) .

On Venus it is 42 Draconis. ( Magnitude +4.8 )

On Earth it is Polaris. ( Magnitude +2.0 )

On Mars it is Mu Cephei. ( Ranges from magnitude +3.9 to +5.2 )

On Jupiter it is 36 Draconis. ( Magnitude +4.9 )

On Saturn It is 2 Ursa Minoris. ( Magnitude +4.2)

On Uranus it is Sabik or Eta Ophiuchi. ( Magnitude +2.4 )

And finally on Neptune the pole star is Rukh or Delta Cygni. ( magnitude +2.9 )

So if you are ever lost on any of these planets you can now find North ;) I'm thinking of doing a report on how moons look in the sky of other planets using the same feature. 

Adam

1 hour ago, Paul M said:

Nice exercise, it's the kind of stuff I now prefer doing rather than go outside on a cold night!

What's the Sun's pole star? Not that it matters, dreadful light pollution I imagine!

Haha! The pole star for the Sun is 42 Draconis like Venus, Since there is a very little axial tilt on these objects they always have a star in Draco as their pole star.

Adam

On 06/12/2016 at 07:00, alan potts said:

Nice work Adam and there was me thinking it would be the same on all planets due to the distance of the stars, dangerous when I doing thinking:icon_biggrin:.

Alan

You are not alone Alan, that was my initial thinking too.

Archived