Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lovely Couple in Triangulum.

johnrt

"Surprise, Surprise!" A couple of clear nights back to back, and finally after nearly 3 months of plodding on this "lovely couple" of galaxies, there was enough cloudless time to put this one to rest. I managed to rack up 17 hours in LRGB, which is a "lora lora" effort given the recent weather.

This pair are measured to be about 88 thousand ly apart from each other, and are interacting so extensively under the gravitational pull of the other that it is believed they share a common envelope of gas and intermingling stars, NGC 672 a common spiral on the left and IC 1727 an irregular shaped galaxy on the right.

This pair share the constellation Triangulum with the famous and popular M33, and I can't help but think they are another overlooked target sharing close proximity to a big neighbour, which is quite a pity. they really ought to be known as the Triangulum Duo (in the same spirit as the Draco & Leo trio's).

17 hours of exposure time taken over the duration of 3 months with an Atik 460ex & Altair Astro 6" RC. Captured in SGPro, constructed in Pixinsight and processed in CS5.

As ever I very much hope you like :)

31195261402_c3147e2441_b.jpg

12 minutes ago, PatrickGilliland said:

Nice work John - not knowingly seen this imaged so well done one that.

Love all the small fuzzies in there too.

Paddy

Cheers Paddy, I do like to get off the beaten track whenever I can. There are some really nice side on spirals in there to spot :) 

Archived