SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M103

mikey2000

I just had a quick 45 minutes to get out there tonight.  A shame really - I'm on an early shift tomorrow and really should be off to bed.

After I'd got over the 'snagging on RA controls' issue on my EQ2/130P I managed to home in on M103, a cluster in Cassiopeia.  It was pretty clear here tonight - I usually struggle to see Ursa Minor with the naked eye but could just see it.  Just.

I steered towards M103 and was rewarded with a rather dense view with my 6mm EP.  I had a very happy 10 minutes just watching as my eyes saw more and more detail.  I ended up pulling my coat up and draping it over my head and eyepiece to block out the last bit of outside light, rather like a vintage photographer.  (Does anyone else do this???)

The cluster was straight overhead and this left the scope at an awkward angle for viewing.  I now have a sore back.

Newt's on eq mounts can require some contortion to get to the EP, rotating the scope in the tube rings can help though.

I really like the wing style eye guards for blocking out stray light though I know some people can't get on with them and I guess they are useless if you observe wearing glasses.

9 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

I just had a quick 45 minutes to get out there tonight.  A shame really - I'm on an early shift tomorrow and really should be off to bed.

After I'd got over the 'snagging on RA controls' issue on my EQ2/130P I managed to home in on M103, a cluster in Cassiopeia.  It was pretty clear here tonight - I usually struggle to see Ursa Minor with the naked eye but could just see it.  Just.

I steered towards M103 and was rewarded with a rather dense view with my 6mm EP.  I had a very happy 10 minutes just watching as my eyes saw more and more detail.  I ended up pulling my coat up and draping it over my head and eyepiece to block out the last bit of outside light, rather like a vintage photographer.  (Does anyone else do this???)

The cluster was straight overhead and this left the scope at an awkward angle for viewing.  I now have a sore back.

Yes - looking straight up can be awkward.  I viewed Cass. in the early hours the other day when it was lower in the sky.

And Yes - I drape an old black T-shirt over my head sometimes.  Works a treat!

I had a short session early y'day evening in the Perseus region (below Cass.), picking up open clusters NGC 1528, 1342, and 1513.  Their main stars all have very characteristic shapes.  1528 was very nice, with several other faint stars on show, but the others were a bit like small asterisms, although that was no doubt due to some light pollution!

Doug.

:icon_biggrin:  It looks like being a clear night here in the S.E. UK - I've got an early start tomorrow but might manage a quick half hour before bed time tonight.  Any suggestions for something easy to find in the South to West to North side of the sky (East is a bit blocked by obstacles for me...)  I thought I might try for one or two of the clusters in Cygnus...

Archived