Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader quick change systems

Hi all

I am after opinions on the Baader quick change systems of which there seem to be two. The 'standard' and the 'heavy duty'. I am very much sold on the idea having swapped things out in the dark a few times with the screw threads!

Having been looking for a while to find some used ones it appears that people don't sell them once they have them so this is being taken as a good sign!

I will be using the system on a Baader Zeiss t2 prism with a set of Maxbright binoviewers and pairs of fairly lightweight eyepieces (TV plossls and BCOs). Before I buy new, as I think I'll have to, is there any advantage to the heavy duty system other than the non-marring / wider grip of the brass wedge vs the set screw of the standard system for my purpose? Maybe I should just fork out the additional £30 and be done with it. If anyone has moved from the standard to the heavy duty and felt it's a more secure / ergonomic system I'd appreciate comments. I think I'll be buying a dovetail ring for my BVs, one extension, my 2" eyepiece holder for occasional use and probably my clicklock adapter so the actual quick release adapter will be the cheap bit!

Cheers all

Shane

Shane,

The heavy duty version is worth the extra cash. The basic is "ok" and I had no issue with it but with my expensive markV binos and 2x TV eyepieces decided to swap to the heavy duty version. The heavy duty version is much more solid and has a better locking mechanism.

Although as I say, I never had an issue with the basic one.

Alan

Cheers Alan

I am thinking the same to be honest. It makes more sense really to invest now rather than buy the cheaper one and then sell to buy the more expensive.

I am finding that like telescopes and eyepieces generally the binoviewers are the cheap bit! 

I can only agree with the above Shane. I have used a version of the basic one and it's a very different beast. There is just something very satisfying using the heavy duty version. If you need to rotate anything then they are smooth as silk too. Well worth it.

Cheers all. That's settled it. I'll definitely be going for the hd version. Just spent up though for now on a pair of 25mm TV plossls. Will be buying a quick changer in the new year though unless something comes up used before. They seem to be the sort of thing people buy and then keep.

Archived