Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Viewing newbie question on solar film sheet.

Alan White

If I fit Baader Solar Film sheet to the inside of the lens cap behind the SW 100 Pro using the reduced aperure hole, other than getting this light tight,
do I need to do anything else to safely try solar viewing please?

Never done it, would love to but makes me quite nervous to just go for it.
Your help as always much appreciated.

Thanks, Alan

That should be OK - just make sure that you tape the film securely and the cap can't fall off in a breeze or if you knock it.  probably better to make a cardboard holder like this:  http://www.baader-planetarium.de/com/sofifolie/bauanleitung_e.htm

or a "posh" one like this: 

Just scroll down a bit to find my ventilation pipe and foamboard version.

I would make a full aperture one if I were you. I made quite a few recently for various scopes and finders and it's very easy. It also seems safer than trying to attach film to the inside of the lens cap.

Reasons for full aperture? Obviously brightness but much more importantly resolution. You will be using the full resolution of your (very nice) scope so the image will show more detail.

4 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Thanks gents>

Looks like a Blue Peter afternoon is required.
Then a clearish day to have a dabble, these dabbles keep getting expensive I am finding!

That's actually the beauty of Baader film. It's not expensive, and all you need apart from the film is a cereal packet and you get some amazing views. The sun is a little quiet currently mind you but that will change in time.

i just made my filters very simply using bands of card cut cut from cereal packets, double sided tape, then wrapped the outside with black insulating tape to make them a little better protected. They stay in place very securely, no danger of falling off, in fact you have to pull them off slowly allowing the air to enter at its own rate.

I tried and failed 3 times to make a solar filter with the film and cardboard. Eventually i decided my blue peter skills just were not cutting the mustard so i bought a Hershel Wedge and safety filters. Expensive way to observe in white light but worth it. I REALLY didnt want to take any chances with my eyesight by using sub-standard constructed solar filters. The solar film itself is 100% completely safe to use. Its my own DIY skills (or LACK of) which were called into question.

*Hershel wedges only work with certain refractors*

• 1 month later...

Well after some delay, I have put some baader film within the lens cap, bought a solar finder off eBay and had a go today.

Wow, stunned I have looked at the sun!

Ok it's white light, it's looked quiet from what I have seen posted, but what the heck, I have looked at the sun.

Does it show that I was impressed and happy?

Now to either make a full aperture film filter thingy or buy a Herschel wedge, I will wait a while and see what I think,

however I can see a wedge bought towards the summer.

The one thing this did identify is that the 16" riser on the tripod is far too high for solar, so I will need to make that work for day and night observing. 

Archived