Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST Eyepiece choices

frogbmth

First off I am sorry that this is another eyepice thread. I searched and couldnt find too many recommendations for PST use.

I hear that the supplied 20mm with the PST is 'to get you started' and that there is a fair amount to be gained from investing in good eyepieces. I've seen that a couple of people say that the 12mm Coronado Cemax is a good choice, but can anybody with experience give me pointers for the right purchase? I am not in a club or near a dealer that I could try them out, and want to spend under £80gbp (have to get over my PST purchase!)

Any views on the Celestron X-Cel? One thing I need to account for is that I wear spectacles.

Any thought greatly appreciated!

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

Andy

I bought my PST about 3 years ago and found that the best lens was a Celestron 17mm SMA. However, I decided that I wanted to purchase a Hyperion 8-24 zoom which I obtained from Steve at FLO. I have used it several times over the last month on the PST and it is very, very good. Just to isolate proms and surface detail without changing EPs is very convenient. I would recommended the Hyperion zoom although it is more the £80 budget that you set.

Mark

I have found that the BF set screw on the PST fouls the bottom of the Hyperion zoom...not handy...ive tried many different types of plossls and i have to say that i find the Cemaxs to be very good...as they do appear to have some coatings,because the sun appears as a different hue compared to others plus they probably do offer slightly more contrast as well. Brian

I have viewed through a PST using a cheap 8-24mm zoom. Worked very well.

The nice thing with the zoom is being able to adjust the magnification without swapping EPs.

Mike

This is exactly what I've done with great results! The quality of the picture is surprisingly good considering the cost of the eyepiece.

Archived