Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I need advise on purchasing a LP filter and selecting the right adapter to install it in camera train. Scope is 9.25 XLT Celestron, Camera is Atik Infinity. I have a Baader Varilock 46 T-2 extension and a Baader Delux Short (15mm) SCT Female to T-2-21 Adapter, along with a 40mm T-2 extension. Can some one tell me what size filter I need and recommend the right adapter to install it.

Thanks

Michael

Am no expert in CCD cameras not owning one...but surly you would just screw a 1.25 inch filter into the thread on the end of the 1.25 inch nose piece adapter that came with the camera? Something like a Astronomik CLS CCD 1.25 inch? I am assuming this setup is for solar system? I am not sure if LP filters are generally used for planetary imaging. 

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

Am no expert in CCD cameras not owning one...but surly you would just screw a 1.25 inch filter into the thread on the end of the 1.25 inch nose piece adapter that came with the camera? Something like a Astronomik CLS CCD 1.25 inch? I am assuming this setup is for solar system? I am not sure if LP filters are generally used for planetary imaging. 

Thanks Adam for reply. I need to install a light pollution filter into my set up since I live close to a parking lot that has street lights. I am new to AP and really don't know what I am doing. I am trying to do some deep sky imaging using a 6.3 focal reducer on my 9.25 xlt. From what I have read I need 105mm from focal reducer to camera chip in order for camera to have correct focus. I bought the T-2 adapter and extension pieces in order to achieve the 105mm distance but am not sure what  Light pollution filter I need to work with my camera. I am trying to use the threaded connection on camera which has the T-2 thread on it, but haven't been able to figure out how to install filter.

Best Regards

Michael

What F ratio and focal length will you end up with after the focal reducer? To be honest the 9.25xlt is not what I would choose for deep sky imaging with the possible exception of planetary nebula...in which case everything will depend on the quality of your mount...if your still using the fork mount you are going to really struggle. 

I should be around 1567mm with focal reducer. I am using an Celestron AVX mount. I probably should have done a little more research before buying All the T-2 fittings.

I contacted a supplier hear in US  and gave him a list of what I have and he did suggest getting a adapter that will work with what I have using a 1.25 filter. I am not sure if that will cut down on my field of view using the smaller filter.

This AP is turning out be be a lot more complicated than I expected. I have a ZWO asi120mc-s I have used to capture Juipter & Saturn, with camera inserted straight in back of scope. Pics aren't anything to brag about but they were my first ones taken.

The  Atik Infinity is suppose to be a good camera for dso objects. I have seen some good looking pics others have taken using it. With that being said they obviously know what they are doing and I don't. LOL.

Best Regards,

Michael

jupiter4-23-16.jpg

Saturn.jpg

5 hours ago, geordie85 said:

Can't you just screw a 1.25 inch light pollution filter to the end of your focal reducer?

Not sure but I believe the thread on the back of  mine is a SCT thread. I don't know if they make a filter with that thread or not.

thanks

• 1 year later...
On 15/11/2016 at 16:58, Adam J said:

Yes it screws into the camera, but problem if using a FR and T adaptor.

On 15/11/2016 at 21:34, MikeNC said:

Thanks Adam for reply. I need to install a light pollution filter into my set up since I live close to a parking lot that has street lights. I am new to AP and really don't know what I am doing. I am trying to do some deep sky imaging using a 6.3 focal reducer on my 9.25 xlt. From what I have read I need 105mm from focal reducer to camera chip in order for camera to have correct focus. I bought the T-2 adapter and extension pieces in order to achieve the 105mm distance but am not sure what  Light pollution filter I need to work with my camera. I am trying to use the threaded connection on camera which has the T-2 thread on it, but haven't been able to figure out how to install filter.

Best Regards

Michael

Your question is how to attach a LP filter , with the 9.25 & f6.3 FR, PLUS  T adaptor at approx 105mm and how does it fit into the train,well it screws into the camera nose piece no problem, but then there is the issue of the FR and T adaptor not screwing into the camera with the Filter in place, so I am wondering myself if a filter wheel is the answer, the 9.25 is ok for DSO's with the infinity and the new software version ( Nov17) works well over 120 secs on a Alt /Az mount with no field rotation, after all this is an EAA hobby not Astrophotography with a DSLR or other Camera.

Archived