Baader Genuine Ortho 9mm

Timebandit

Hello. The search for a complete set of Baader Genuine Ortho continued and the 9mm is in the collection. I think these are one of the more common Baader Genuine Ortho out there , but in saying that they are coming up less and less frequently nowerdays. So I am very pleased to have in the set an excellent/mint example of a 9mm BGO. This will be used in the refractor and should see regular use, as it is the sort of magnification that can be used on most nights of reasonable seeing conditions in the uk. The BGO came with original caps and box which is always nice to see and to get. The body of the eyepiece seems excellent condition and the all important optics seem in excellent/mint condition. So I am a very happy person with nearly a complete collection.  I think it's the 12.5 BGO left to find. Fingers crossed.  

IMG_20161111_143845.jpg

IMG_20161111_143909.jpg

IMG_20161111_162727.jpg

IMG_20161111_162756.jpg

Some pic of a 9mm Baader Genuine Ortho. If you have or know of a BGO 12.5 looking for a good home then please let me know?

5 hours ago, nightfisher said:

good find, i have the Antares 9mm HD ortho that is same as the BGO and its stunning

I have the 7mm Antares HD Ortho. While I agree that the Antares HD Orthos are excellent and optically the same as the BGOs, they still differ being *Multi-Coated* vs *Phantom Multi-Coated* BGOs.  Those famous proprietary Baader Phantom Multicoatings are, probably, what makes BGO stand out by adding just few percent  extra transmission, IMO.

Excellent BGO collection, congrats on your find!  Any owner of a good refractor  can dream about it.  With the time I more and more appreciate Orthos over Plossls.  Even in my Dob they work really great, I don't care about the narrow field. Maybe it's just me, but Orthos show views slightly sharper than Plossls with more contrast :evil6:

23 hours ago, SpaceWalker said:

I have the 7mm Antares HD Ortho. While I agree that the Antares HD Orthos are excellent and optically the same as the BGOs, they still differ being *Multi-Coated* vs *Phantom Multi-Coated* BGOs.  Those famous proprietary Baader Phantom Multicoatings are, probably, what makes BGO stand out by adding just few percent  extra transmission, IMO.

A agree that the Baader coatings are pretty good but when I compared them with othos by Astro Hutech and Fujiyama I thought that the coatings looked and performed exactly the same on those brands as well. The Phantom coatings don't seem unique to Baader now.

The University HD orthos seem identical to the Antares HD orthos and their coatings do look a slightly different tint to the Baader Phantom coatings but I could not find any performance differences between those and a Baader Genuine Ortho when I compared units in the 5mm focal length.

They are all really excellent eyepieces to my eyes :icon_biggrin:

Interestingly, when you look at independant measurements of light transmission through eyepieces, the very best seem to be Tele Vue plossls.

4 hours ago, John said:

A agree that the Baader coatings are pretty good but when I compared them with othos by Astro Hutech and Fujiyama I thought that the coatings looked and performed exactly the same on those brands as well. The Phantom coatings don't seem unique to Baader now.

The University HD orthos seem identical to the Antares HD orthos and their coatings do look a slightly different tint to the Baader Phantom coatings but I could not find any performance differences between those and a Baader Genuine Ortho when I compared units in the 5mm focal length.

Interestingly, when you look at independant measurements of light transmission through eyepieces, the very best seem to be Tele Vue plossls.

John,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I knew that the Antares Orthos, UO HDs and BGOs are considered pretty much the same optically except coatings, but haven't had a chance to try BGOs in person so my gesstimates based on multiple positive reviews across the web like from Alvin Huey (FaintFuzzies.com) etc.  It seems the grass as usual is greener on the other side of the fence :icon_biggrin:. As for TV Plossls some experienced observers claiming that the older Plossls provide brighter images, for example here (http://www.astronomyforum.net/telescope-eyepieces-forum/224964-televue-made-taiwan-2.html) J.Gardavsky says that about the older 13mm and 21mm TV Plossls. I can guess that well known Okulartransmission(http://www.amateurastronomie.com/Astronomie/tips/tips3.htm) data from Markus Ludes showing high light transmission in the TV Plossls based on the older TV EPs.

I've usually found that the more modern glass and coatings slightly out perform older ones but the differences are often subtle.

Alvin Huey's comparisons of the Baader Classic Ortho's with very exotic fare on deep sky viewing are interesting too :icon_biggrin:

The only differences between Alvin and myself are that I don't have access to desert / mountain skies and scopes in the 22" - 48" range !

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2016 at 02:04, John said:

I still think the Antares 9mm HD is one of the very best ep`s i have owned, i got offered a 7mm and should have taken the offer but in truth i dont need it, it would almost never get used in my main scope (150 f12) and i can barlow the 9mm in my 80mm, i am strying very hard not to buy astro gear at present

On 12/11/2016 at 02:10, SpaceWalker said:

Afraid I have to disagree here. The 3 Antares HD's I owned were definitely and visibly sharper than the equivalent BGO's.

I think the Phantom coatings blurb is marketing hype. There are so many really good coatings out there, including the Phantom branded, but think also of Televue, Pentax, Vixen etc- all very closely matched in performance. Some of the brightest and best coatings I have seen are Explore Scientific!

Dave

Archived