Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

stephan's quintet or bust

alacant

Hi everyone. Phew, this is hard. I didn't realise how small this was. You'd need a hell of a telescope to fill a dslr sensor. Has anyone had a go at this? Here's my go with a canon 700d. I don't know whether it's worth pursuing at this scale. Any advice most gratefully received. Cheers and clear skies.

7331-stefan.jpg

I think that's very worthwhile, I like the composition with the larger galaxy. What were the exposure details please?

Bonus trivia: Stephan's Quintet play the angels at the beginning of It's a Wonderful Life, probably the only galaxy group to be credited in a major motion picture. Due to dubious Hollywood accounting practises they are still waiting for their paycheck though.

43 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

exposure details

Hi. It's 14 snaps at 3 minutes; a guess. I stored the coordinates in APT so I can re-centre if need be. It's a Canon camera with a celestron telescope and guidescope on an eq6 mount. TIA.

47 minutes ago, tomato said:

15 x 300 secs

Hi. That's nice. You've more detail in the fuzzies. Do you reckon that's the longer exposure? I managed to get 8 more light and new bias frames before the dew hit. It seems to have tidied the background and added a bit of colour but I've now lost half the stars. Am probably trying too many variables at a time. Anyways, thanks for having a shot at it. 

7331-stephan-moreframes.jpg

Archived