Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daytime

Hi my grandson has just asked me if there are stars and planets visible during the day I said yes and now Iam getting questions galore of him is there anything he could see any help would be appreciated regards Stephen 

Venus, Mars, Jupiter are the most easily seen in the mornings and evenings. Venus may be visible near the western horizon around 18:00-18:30 if th elcoud clears (as that's just before sunset, technically day time :)

Sirius can also been seen early mornings and evenings at the time of year..

I have seen image taken of Venus and Mars during the day but that was rather sensitive cameras very expensive too :) Difficult  is that both were fairly close to the sun, so, ou would not be trying ti see then either through e telescope/binoculars amor anything eel.

The moon is the easiest target. In addition to the targets iapa listed, I've also seen Saturn during the day. It's pretty tricky, and it certainly helps if you have a telescope with good alignment (you can use the shadow of the telescope cast by the sun to get a rough alignment on the Sun - of course, keep the optics capped and definitely don't look at the sun while doing this!)

During the day, the surface of the Earth warms up and that sets up strong convection in the  atmosphere - so as well as being much fainter against the daytime sky than they are at night, views of these objects tend to be less clear because of the instability in the atmosphere. 

But it's fun to try nevertheless.

1 hour ago, quimby44 said:

Hi my grandson has just asked me if there are stars and planets visible during the day I said yes and now Iam getting questions galore of him is there anything he could see any help would be appreciated regards Stephen 

Stars and planets are easy to see in the day, but only if you have a fancy telescope that can find them for you!

However, Venus can be seen reasonably easily with the naked eye at certain times of the year. And of course it's easy to see (at the right time of the year) just after the sun has set. That time of year will be coming up soon, but I guess your grandson wants things "now" :) Get him, from Monday onwards, to look for the Moon, and see how soon you can spot it. It'll be low down in the south west just after sunset. And later in the month you might want to let him see if he can find it during the day. It's amazing how many adults are surprised when they notice that the Moon is visible during the day time! Depending on how old your grandson is, you might also use his observations to introduce him to the phases of the Moon (get him to draw the shape he sees).

Archived