NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First ap scope help

Nova2000

The lower the F number the better where F = (focal length) /aperture. 

Refracters are more popular for wide field imaging.  

A Skywatcher Startravel 80 might be a good place to start as you could then re - use it as a guide scope if/when you upgrade your mount.

Apparently there is a saying that if your scope costs more than your mount and you want to do astro photography you are doing something wrong.

I would say that you are looking at a 70mm ED refractor. Simply owing to the weight.

Can the Star Adventurer take 5Kg ? I have a 90mm ED that is rated at 3.5KG and I will not mount that on anything smaller then an EQ5 or iOptron CEM25. I did look at the iOptron SmartEQ mount and seriously doubted that mount would hold the scope. I see the specification says 5kg so will assume it is valid/correct.

You will have to allow 1KG for a DSLR, so the scope is then 1kg less. Looking at 2 options a 70-72mm ED refractor is around 2.5Kg, with 1Kg for a DSLR that makes 3.5Kg. That would allow a small amount of lee way for other items. An RDF does not weigh much but it has a weight, as do flatenners, reducers and other small items.

Have no idea what is available in India so cannot realistically go into a particular scope.

14 minutes ago, Nova2000 said:

Thanks  wornish. I've heard about some 60mm 70mm APO refractors. Are there any? 

Both Orion and Celestron do 70mm refractors, I have no experience with them so can't really comment.  Both are well known established manufacturers.

I started with a skywatcher ST80 on a Star Adventurer mount and it worked ok, trouble is I then got the bug and my wallet has suffered since.

You haven't discussed what camera you are going to use for your astrophotography. This could could have a bog bearing to which scope you are going to use. If you are using a DSLR camera I personally using a fixed lens. If you are using a dedicated cmos or ccd camera you could still use a fast camera lens dependent of how widefield you want to image. One thing is for certain weight and too long a focal length is not your friend on the Star Adventurer.

Steve

+ 1 for the fixed lens, especially for wide field AP, that leaves more funds for a mount.

With a star adventurer and fixed lens on your canon you can get some very good DSO images, a 200mm or 400mm lens will capture plenty of DSO's

ebay less than 60 uk pounds for f 3.6 200mm lens delivered world wide.

Archived