SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help for a beginner

Folks

I was looking at getting a new scope to replace my old TAL-1.

I have seen these three but dont know which would be best, or even another. Budget less than £200

http://celestialdelights.info/meade-instruments-216006-polaris-130-eq-reflector-telescope-review/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-130EQ-Astromaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B0013Z42AK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=7BG29TVCMNMYFHQAF8NQ&th=1

or

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Gaz

5 minutes ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Gaz, you've posted two identical links.

Unless size is an issue, perhaps the best scope you can get for around 200 pounds is the 6" Dobsonian: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

Or look out for a 200mm Dob second-hand?

Sorry, thats me being dopey on the computer. I will look at the 200 thanks.

The bad part of the two tripod mounted telescopes you link is the tripod and equatorial mount - not at all solid or precise, and frankly you don't really need an EQ mount for basic visual observing. Motors on these (the Celestron) are really like an ashtray on a motorbike.

For what it is, the Heritage 130 is very good indeed. Limitations include aperture, and possibly focusing and build in the long-term, but I'd say it's the best of your selection. Still if you can find a 150mm or 200mm Dob at the right price, it's quite a big jump upwards :icon_biggrin:.

The majority of us astro-folks keep our telescopes in perfect condition. Rather like people who buy Ferrari's. So used is a valid option. A 200mm - 8-inch - Dobsonian is of the aperture (mirror diameter) that will allow one to see new and amazing objects 'out there' every night for a lifetime.

If visual is what you will be doing, then a Dobsonian mount makes more sense than a lower-end equatorial-mount. EQ-mounts take time to set-up and adjust each time you use it - unless you have it in an observatory where it will remain. So I'd suggest either a Dobsonian, or a basic Alt-Az mount.

Happy hunting!

Dave

As said the used route may be more useful at least in the short term and the scopes tend to be well looked after.

My reason for this is simply that the scope you have is 110mm and a 130mm is not a great deal more, just under 40% more in area. You may not see much difference after spending your money. Have read that increasing by about 2x area is when the next level of objects appear and you get a reasonable increase in the number of objects. Even a 150mm would give an increase of around 85% increase in area.

So maybe keep an eye out here on SGL  or over on ABSUK.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Its much appreiciated.

Ronin, that certainly is an interesting point, I would want to be able to see more after upgrading.

I will look second hand, but being in Ireland the local market is small, not many folks willing to ship over from the Uk, but i will look anyway.

Again, thank you all for the advice.

Skywatcher v Meade is much the same as Ford v Chevrolet. Some people have their preferences for one or the other, but at the end of the day they're pretty similar.

This is a collapsible truss version Dob which will probably mean a little more collimation is needed than the standard solid tube models - but no big deal with a Cheshire eyepiece.

Looks like a very good option, plus it comes with an eyepiece which is substantially better than most supplied ones.

It's looks like it has most everything you'd need to use it straight away. The only thing missing (this is to be expected with most Dobs) is a RACI - Finder scope (Right-Angle Correct Image) to help you find objects the optical-finder it already has - but that's true with most all Dobs. The price, at £260, is certainly not too bad. Though I don't know what these went for when new over there. They are discontinued in the 8-inch format.

Best of luck,

Dave

Hi

The tal one has a sturdy mount and good optics, the main mirror is 110mm Dia.

Changing the telescope for one where the mirror  is only 20mm bigger and has a flimsy mount is not worth it.

save up a bit more cash and look for a good second hand dob in the 200 to 250 mm range.

Don't buy a second hand scope off the internet with out looking at it, and take some one with a bit of experience with you when you view it.

Always inspect the coating on  Newtonian mirrors they can tarnish and  cost over £80 to re-aluminise,  sometimes the surface of the mirror can become etched making it useless .

I hope i have not put you off getting a bigger scope, there is a lot of good secondhand stuff about.

Jim

1 hour ago, James Vincent said:

Hi

The tal one has a sturdy mount and good optics, the main mirror is 110mm Dia.

Changing the telescope for one where the mirror  is only 20mm bigger and has a flimsy mount is not worth it.

save up a bit more cash and look for a good second hand dob in the 200 to 250 mm range.

Don't buy a second hand scope off the internet with out looking at it, and take some one with a bit of experience with you when you view it.

Always inspect the coating on  Newtonian mirrors they can tarnish and  cost over £80 to re-aluminise,  sometimes the surface of the mirror can become etched making it useless .

I hope i have not put you off getting a bigger scope, there is a lot of good secondhand stuff about.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the advice. 

Archived